Light bar or HID lights interfering with radio

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malicious

Reaction score
Anyone here experiencing this issue?
In process of testing a 40A noise suppression filter as there aren't any on the market for the current rating of the huge light bars , will also work with HID,
Considering making them on a semi production basis.
Will be hand built here in Aus .

It mounts as close as practical to the lightbar or spotlight

Same here. It's really bad for me with the roof lights because of their proximity to the antenna.

I also get interference from the inverter/charger in the back when on AM band. No drama with FM.

Both will cause this if they have crappy driver circuits.
Also it can be exacerbated by using the body/chassis as the -ve connection point instead of back to battery direct.

I get it as well so I just put my other music on - i.e. SD Card or USB - as it doesn't interfere with them.

Karl

I haven't tried the UHF yet but I will tonight (if I remember) and see if there is any interference.

I have just removed my LF 240 and added a set of 9 inch HID as well as the light bar so will have to test to see if they will interfere with the radio as I can turn the light bar off separately.

Karl

I have no interference issues with my radio or uhf from my 150 lightbar. But mine is on the bullbar and the earth wires go back to the relay then battery. Cant comment on my hid lights cause the globes are in but the ballasts are still sitting in the shed

Radio Noise

Hi Folks.
Most Noise comes from poor circuit components, and it's termed as stray RF, it can be fixed in lot of cases, but you need to determine what's the cause.
you can get from Jaycar a noise supressor and it goes in line on the radio coax it filters out some of the interference caused by cheap or poor designed circuits.

But any electrical circuit does create some electrical noise! fluorescent lights are a good one, Cheap LED down lights, your LED TV's and to a lesser extent plasma's.
But in a car simple start points.

1) move the coax far from any live wires
2) use better quality coax (Better shielding) make sure you have the correct coax being used (50 ohm)
3) make the coax run as short as possible (better in lengths of QTR wave)
4) any additional coax form a simple coil about 6-7 turns ( acts as a RF trap)
8) ensure the antenna is well grounded (earthed) run a second earth to the antenna base, don't rely on the Bullbar mount bolts as an earth point
9) Move the antenna away from the lights if possible.
10) make sure the radio is earthed THE NEGATIVE WIRE (black wire) although is run to earth doesn't mean the radio is, on most radio's there is a small earth screw on the back run a lead from this to an earth point car chassis or panel.

If this don't work then you start investigating the equipment causing the issue,

Simple fixes here are

Static charge build up fixed by earthing better (once again circuit earth may not be the same as equipment earth.
Live wire filters or suppressors
Use shielded Live wires to the equipment
check to see if the live feed wire is good enough for the current draw
Does the equipment comply to Std's

Hope these couple of points help in locating some problems.

Pat S

Ive just fitted mt HIDs and have exprienced RFI on radio,
Do I need a filter and where do I fit it?
Or is there something else I need to do?

Welcome to our world..
Head to j-car they will know exactly what you need as soon as you explain interference is a common problem(running HIDS OR A Lightbar.

You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last.lol

Latest posts

Back