Lots of Black smoke and now limp

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane76

Reaction score
gday everyone,
was supposed to be a great day out on the boat with the wife and kids until........we were on out way to the river and i noticed it was blowing black smoke. Now i have always tried to look in my mirror for black smoke but never ever seen any, so was very suprised to see so much at one time. BTW i have an 07STX diesel auto. A bit further up the road the DPF light came on, pulled over read the manual and continued on my way. Driver faster than the 80km/h it reccomends. The light when out and all was good, then we hit some hills and the smaoke started again, little bit later the light came on again and didnt go off. Continued to blow black ugly smoke all over the place. I was so embarressed. We then turned around very annoyed and headed for home. dropped the kids, wife and boat off and then jumped on the motorway to run it at 100km/h for a good distance. The light never went off so i turned and headed for home. Thats when it threw itself into limp mode and continued my trip home at about 70km/h. PLEASE HELP

Matey you will need to take it to nissan for a forced burn and a ecu reset. I had the same drama and unfortunately it was that blocked that 5 forced burns could not unblock it.. I now have no dpf as I have removed it completely. My nav did not come out of limp mode. Nissan wanted me to purchase a new dpf for around 2g..

Now mate you have a few options, if the burn is unsuccessful you will have 2 options. Buy a new one or remove it punch the guts out of it and put it back on and get nissan to reset the ecu as if you were to have a new one installed. This will work but you will have to space the o2 sensor so it won't read the same carbon as the front sensor which then will do a dump and burn.. Then it will be a lot of white smoke lol as it happened to me..

I would try the first step and try getting it unblocked. If no success then you have some decisions to make.. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted. Please feel free to ask me or anyone on here for advice either way you go with it.

By the way if they do a forced burn you will need to do an oil change ASAP after it has been done as this causes the oil to burn and thin out.

Thanks mate. Will keep you informed. I'm in the process of having it towed to a mates workshop. Will take it from there

Check the 2 sensors at the exit side of the filter. I had the same problem. I put a post up in general chat.

Another DPF bites the dust... such a stupid idea really at least these ones are not as expensive as the Volkswagen ones which costs about $4500 to replace...

btw the black smoke is the ECU dumping more fuel in to get your EGTs up to a point where the soot in the DPF can be burnt off. You can prevent this happening again by making less 5min trips to the shops or whatever ie: try to get the car up to full operating temp on every trip you take it on, not ideal I know but it will help the DPF stay unblocked longer.

btw the black smoke is the ECU dumping more fuel in to get your EGTs up to a point where the soot in the DPF can be burnt off. You can prevent this happening again by making less 5min trips to the shops or whatever ie: try to get the car up to full operating temp on every trip you take it on, not ideal I know but it will help the DPF stay unblocked longer.

Thats what the Sales lady kept telling me when i bought mine. No good for little short trips.

Ok took my car to my mechanic. And today the guy from Nissan came and picked it up. Did a force burn, but surprise the force burn didn't work. The guy said its a 50 50 chance that a force burn will work. So off to the exhaust place who says he can de gut the DPF. More info to follow

Hahaha yes it is turbo. And I'm pretty confident that the turbo is ok. Still not sure why the thing was blowing all the black smoke that clogged the DPF. Anyone got any ideas or is that all to do with the regen and the DPF.

Another DPF bites the dust... such a stupid idea really at least these ones are not as expensive as the Volkswagen ones which costs about $4500 to replace...

You know what the odd thing is 180, it's that everyday I travel 20mins at 100km/h non stop. And still this happens. I don't do much short corner shop trips

It still clogs, just not as fast, heard of VW ones clogging in under 60000km, like I said though its just a stupid emissions control device that is just slowing the inevitable global warming.

Latest posts

Back