Loud knock on start up?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camsmith

Reaction score
Hey guys. I notice sometimes when i start my Nav to warm it up there is a knocking noise for about 5 seconds then it will go away. It seems to only happens on cold start. Any idea what this could be? Cheers Cam

Ive got the same noise, booked in to nissan to get fixed, what year is your Nav?

Its a 2009 model mate. I have had it since new. Its always been serviced and everything. Could the setting on a tunit chip be playing up with the injectors?

Its a 2009 model mate. I have had it since new. Its always been serviced and everything. Could the setting on a tunit chip be playing up with the injectors?

Mate, i would be pulling that chip out and taking it to Nissan as still under factory warranty? Don't tell them you had a chip as they'll just fob you off!!

check to see if it the oil light is on during the noise on start up and see if it goes away when the light goes out. if it is its going to be oil drain back from sitting over night. not sure what you'd do to stop it if it is. mine does for about 3-5 seconds and only first thing in the morning.

check to see if it the oil light is on during the noise on start up and see if it goes away when the light goes out. if it is its going to be oil drain back from sitting over night. not sure what you'd do to stop it if it is. mine does for about 3-5 seconds and only first thing in the morning.[/QUOTE

+1

And has it got a Genuine oil filter or one with an anti drain back valve and of Good Quality?

If it has a dodgy oil filter and is slow to build oil pressure it may be worth putting a genuine filter on first and Synthetic 5/30 Engine oil and see if it solves the problem.

Regards
Greg

And has it got a Genuine oil filter or one with an anti drain back valve and of Good Quality?

If it has a dodgy oil filter and is slow to build oil pressure it may be worth putting a genuine filter on first and Synthetic 5/30 Engine oil and see if it solves the problem.

Regards:suicide2::big_smile:
Greg

ive tried genuine and ryco filters and found the ryco one to be slightly better, the genuine one didnt change anything, and i found the thinner oil was worse also. because of the filter design being a cartridge and not a spin on there's no anti drain back valve. (unless its built into the alloy housing but not sure) in saying that i do vehicle inspections for a living and id say around 80% of the navs i check do it.

ive got a genuine filter and an aftermarket one and theyre the same no anti drain back valve.

id still get it checked through nissan there might be an issue with an oil restrictor which may be the cause, ive come across that issue on the alloytec commodore motors before but when theyre faulty it takes about 10-15 seconds to get oil pressure.

The problem seems to have gone after changing the filter and oil. I will keep listening for it and keep you posted if this has fixed the problem. Cheers

Mine made this clicking noose first thing thismorning on start up. Was fine rest of the day. Genuine filter used with penrite oil and just had it serviced at my mechanic. I've never had this problem before and will check it tomoz morning again. It mite just be the cold weather. But I'm not happy with tapping noises in my motor.

Mine made this clicking noose first thing thismorning on start up. Was fine rest of the day. Genuine filter used with penrite oil and just had it serviced at my mechanic. I've never had this problem before and will check it tomoz morning again. It mite just be the cold weather. But I'm not happy with tapping noises in my motor.

I would probably do another oil and filter change on it myself as then you know its done properly, you need the right oil specified, one of my mates dad changed the oil in his D40 with normal diesel multi-grade oil and id ruined the motor after a few ks. Took my car to Nissan after they told me it was the fan belt and to squirt some windex in it to fix the problem They end up replacing the glow plugs, they said it was a common problem for them to make a tick or make a knocking noise on cold start up, once they replaced then i did an oil change myself with genuine filter and oil and seems to have gone away. I made Nissan give me the old glow plugs to prove they changed them, i wouldn't even put my faith in Nissan though to do a proper oil change their as dodgy as it gets!!! If looking for a non genuine oil ask Old Tony his info is pretty well on the money.

Does it hurt the engine or drive train in anyways? Because of this knocking sound or is just annoying as hell?

Hi all, I spoke to nissan just the other day about it and the head mechanic told me that it's the diesel pressure in the injector leaking and a bit of air getting in. The noise is the small air pocket going through the injectors, it's normal in cold mornings in the 2.5lts.

i didnt think they ran hydrolic lifters so y are so many people saying bout oil an pressure. my tonka is on the money imo.

Latest posts

Back