Loud Suspension Clunk Fixed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny Coaster

Reaction score
While doing some Inland tracks on Fraser there was a loud metal on metal noise when going over tree roots and flexing. Allot of people with similar problems advised to check torsion bars and what not but after a trip to Zordo's today we found that when flexing down one of the nuts on the left Tie rod was getting hooked up on a metal plate on the bottom bump stop assembley that sticks out a little, A few good wacks with a hammer and it was all fixed with clearance between the 2 parts.

The clunk was pretty loud with the cars in front and behind hearing it as well, Just thought I'd share as there is heaps of posts on noisy suspension and unless your car is jacked up with max down travel you would have a hard time finding out where the noise was coming from

Not the tie rods, I have the lift and the UCA's tho..... I have heard quite a few D22 owners say they have a clunk but have never found where it was coming from, so hopefully this helps a few of them

So was the tie rod nut making contact when flexing on full lock or at no specific spot through the steering radius?

It was catching when the steering was straight when I was going over things that would cause them to drop (tree roots, rocks), there isn't much space between the 2 parts, Zordo said that there is so much movement in suspension it didn't surprise him that it was happening

The tierod was fowling on the crossmember.
Looks like the idler arm had moved backwards a little bit.
Cheers

Awesome work locating that darn clunk. I have the exact same one. I'm checking it on the weekend.

Took my tyre off today and popped the tie rod balljoint out to have better access to the bumpstop crossmember, flogged it a bit more with a hammer and tidied it up with a file, also checked my idler arm but when loosened it only had 1-2mm of movement so tightened it back up. I think my D22 must just have a bit more of the crossmember exposed than some others which is why the tie rod was hooking up........ When I have the time I thing i'll grind about 5mm off of the crossmember and reweld it, then it will be fixed for good

Latest posts

Back