Loud turbo whistle inside cab. WTF?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah im
Pretty stoked it wasn't a turbo.
I have two at a mates anyway. But still

Hi new to the forum and to Navara's too, just want to say this site has been a great help to me already having only had the Navara for 10 days.

Just want to add to the noisy turbo thread, had same problem with loud turbo whistle through dash on drivers side, ended up being missing bolt from EGR elbow. One unique symptom not already mentioned was the whistle got louder as engine temp increased. Relpaced the bolt, did not even need to replace the gasket, whistle is now gone completely. It was the posts already on this thread that sped up the process for me, so just hoping to help others a little in the future if looking at a similar issue.

mine whistles but i thought it was the snorkel but maybe it does have a leak when i put egr block plate in there

mine has 2500rpm whistle.....i used to not care.....but now its shitting me BADLY!!!

mainly because i triple checked every dam bolt on turbo and egr system and even new silicone on cross over pipe....still there.....shitting me

does anybody have any other suggestions on this turbo whistle problem?

mine can get quite loud....and im over it now....ive had enough

mine does it just after boost comes on at about 4-5psi without fail....and interestingly it does it again! when it decelerates past 4-5psi... it is 110% BOOST related!!!....nothing to do with rpm

stone cold in the morning the sound is NOT there......but after about 5kms of driving it comes in

its a deeper sound then in this threads original vid....it basically sounds like a deep whistle you do with your mouth

things ive checked

-egr at plenum....undid it all checked did it back up....no change
-egr at manifold has no soot around it what so ever
-exhaust manifold runners have no soot
-exhaust mani to turbo ....no soot
-dump pipe no soot
-cross over pipe took it all apart...cleaned and replaced with new hoses....no change
-intake pipe is tight and well fitted....gasket to turbo snout is fine
-allen bolts back of turbo all tight
-10mm bolts with half moon clamps on back of turbo....all of these were loose.....i tightened them all and it had no effect on noise what so ever

ok so now im done......i have no idea....

any ideas?

Have you checked the Turbo body to waste-gate or if the MAP/Boost sensor pipe is leaking?

yeh vac hose from compressor housing to wastegate is perfect....

map sensor pipe has recently been teed into with boost gauge.....all is tight and all new lines

and your turbo doesn't have any scoring marks on the internal inlet or exhaust wheel housing?
have you got a chip and EGT or atleast an EGT?

turbo inspection is done every 6 months......both rear and front are perfect....no shaft play....no scoring....fins are all in great condition....which left me scratching my head

i degreased around the turbo today to see if any new oil leaks out (blow by) from the compressor housing anywhere...to see if i can spot a leak

yeh i have a pyro.....no chip....power is better then ever goes great

good, however you have a leak somewhere... Does the sound get louder as the psi climbs or is it just present from 5psi and on?

Have you checked the vacuum lines and the butterfly regions, i no its not boost related but you never know, there may be a dodgy seal.

Are you 120% sure it isn't rpm dependent not boost dependent?

comes in hard and loud at 4-5-6psi then tappers off

went down a hill yesterday no boost....revs up near 3k....dead silent....put foot down instant boost noise comes on

110% boost related .....you can control it with your foot and watch the boost gauge at the same time

if i were betting....i would say the issue is from the compressor to the plenum.....but ive tripple checked everything....got me VERY stumped

i was sure it was the loose bolts on compressor housing as there was blow by coming out the rear compressor seal.....but i degreased this and tightened bolts and it didnt make the slightest change to noice

ive unbolted the pre filter now to see if its something in there

a better way to describe it is almost like a HOWL more then a whistle

Last edited:
i had the same noise in my old surf, just try this.. if u have an after market stereo or headunit. unplug the fuse for it to kill it completely.
i had the turbo wine coming through my speaker due to inerferance. it sounded like it was coming from the engine.. i replaced part after part..

even wen my stezza was off it still came through..

maybe another avenue to look at.. only throwing ideas around.

I appreciate ur comments thanks... Ill get someone to stick their head near a speaker but it definitely does it with head unit off....

Just noticed i can get it to do it in neutral ( quieter then unfer load) when u give it a good rev and get it to 5psi.... So ill try get someone to rev it while i use a screw driver see if i can find it that way

tested it again this morning... it does not make the noise when stone cold...for about the first 1-2kms of driving.....then it kicks in

does that meen its egr related? i heard that only operates over 50degrees?

or does that give anyone else a clue?

So update after driving this weekend.... when it gets warm after a big hill or a few times of 350-400 degrees on the pyro the noise dissapears.... So im guessing its a gap that closes when metal expands from heat

If only i could find which gap ahhhhhh

loveit - a fair while ago now but I had a whine related to the MAP sensor failure. Would only come on under acceleration above 2000rpm when the turbo should kick in. But I also had bugger all power. Replaced MAP sensor and power back and no whine. Just another thought that someone else had already mentioned.

Have you got it fixed yet?

Check out this link, it is a vid from inside the car when it starts making the sound I'm talking about.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYI177CT-mI[/YT]

dude
put your cammera in you engine bay then do a quick squirt.
then we will hear everything.

loveit - a fair while ago now but I had a whine related to the MAP sensor failure. Would only come on under acceleration above 2000rpm when the turbo should kick in. But I also had bugger all power. Replaced MAP sensor and power back and no whine. Just another thought that someone else had already mentioned.

Have you got it fixed yet?

Ive been mucking around with it a bit lately .... Has awesome power so i dont think it is map sensor

I noticed that when the pyro sees temps of aroud 350deg the noise goes away and doesnt come back untill it cools again

I resealed the whole egr system and seemed to have made a small differnce but the was no evidence in leak in the whole system

It has me both confused and pissed off

Hi All,
Mine whistles really loud and apparently always has. Has boost guage and runs it's full 15psi. No leaks although I will check the compressor bolts on the weekend.

Mine does have a full 2.5 inch exhaust, intercooler and a K&N filter / snorkel which I am sure makes it a lot louder as when the passenger window is down even a little you can hear it sucking through the snorkel.

It could just be that it is breathing well as I have had and still have a couple of other turbocharged cars and they all run K&N filters and they all whistle to some extent.
T54

Latest posts

Back