Low Fuel Light on 2009 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
missed the point a little. if theres crap in the tank your going to pick it up regardless if its a full tank or empty tank.

And I've not seen or heard of an engine failure due to running out of fuel..

Fuel stops, engine stops!

Moreover your doing this as a test so one would assume that at the first sign of fuel starvation you :stop:.

and if running dry was so critical to an engine (under test), manufacturers would'nt provide the priming feature,
but instead insist you dont go any further untill a dealer has seen the vehicle.

As for picking up bad things at the bottom of the tank,

the fuel pickup is located and (STATIONARY) at or close to the BOTTOM of the tank,
so if there is contaminants in the tank they WILL be picked up.

Thats why there is fuel filter and a water holding/ drain facilities installed..

But do what makes one happy.:big_smile:

Yeah I was sorta thinking that diesel floats on water, so that'll go first no matter how much fuel is in the tank. Rust, scale, dirt, sand and half-starving klingon warriors would all sink, being denser than the diesel fuel, resulting in them being nabbed first too.

I like Krafty's technique, but I would caution you to have your head in as close to the exact same position each time, because the plastic cover is a reasonable distance from the needle of the fuel gauge and parallax error can be significant. If you're into dismantling the instrument cluster, you could do a better job of it by making the actual face of the gauge itself.

Just like hydrogen in tyres instead of air, oil in diesel and DPF's killing fuel economy it seems running engines dry is something some don't see a problem with and that's what makes us all different I suppose. Not something I'd choose to do for many reasons but then oil and hydrogen aren't two additives I keep on hand either so the world keeps turning and we all keep on keeping on.

As far as I'm concerned the best option to avoid all of this is buy a Scangauge or similar such item, set it up right and know at the touch of a button exactly how much fuel you have left (well within a litre or two).

Is that why diesel is so pricey...

They put Klingon Warriors in it,

I'm impressed.

As for consumption figures, each to their own, and for some a decision to be made.

Happy Days!

Yeah but eh point of the whole thing is getting the #@%$ light to come on so I dont run out :)

I was only going to take it a bit further just to see if the light does come on and hopefully not run out.

From what has been said it looks like about 10 litres left in the tank the light should glow. I had about 10 litres left and I was on the line of the E so if I go just under and the light doesnt go on I am going to talk to my Nissan dealer.

When and if your light comes on,
fill the tank then, and subtract the amount you put in from the tank capacity and whalla!

You'll be pretty close.

Keeps everyone happy too!

Take out the entire dashboard and hook up some volts to the rear of the instrument cluster and see if the fuel light illuminates. Once you know it works stick a hose in the tank and suck out the diesel until the light comes on. Just don't use 12v as the instrument cluster (in the D40 atleast) isn't 12v.

It's good to have all the options even if it's the long tedious and quite possible stupid options.

Take out the entire dashboard and hook up some volts to the rear of the instrument cluster and see if the fuel light illuminates. Once you know it works stick a hose in the tank and suck out the diesel until the light comes on. Just don't use 12v as the instrument cluster (in the D40 atleast) isn't 12v.

It's good to have all the options even if it's the long tedious and quite possible stupid options.

Options are getting better.

How many volts then.....240Vac or perhaps 415... nah lets do it properly

hook it up to 6Kv and watch that lamp ILLUMINATE!

Stand clear please....stand clear.

How much is a new cluster?

shouldn't need to pull the dash apart. just get to the connector on the fuel tank. short to ground i think it is and see if the light on the dash lights up.

Ok. Here's the results....

I filled my jerry can with diesel and set on my highway journey with the needle just above the line at E.

After about 10 K's the light came on victory:

So it does work.

Bottom line is mine comes on with just under 10l left in the tank. Should be good for 100km of emergency fuel.

Latest posts

Back