Memory Map for Iphone and other devices

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Based on Iphone use.....not sure about other devices but it is available for them.
Memory map is a free app to download to the Iphone and Base maps are provided free. More detailed Topo maps are available at cost from the map store. The handy thing is that it will suggest maps that are required for the area you are viewing, or trying to view and can download them if you have 3g access.
I have had it for a while but used it seriously last weekend in the High Plains and even the free base map was adequate enough to show all the tracks.
It is a very powerful piece of software that turns your Iphone into the equivalent of a hand held Garmin for free. Nautical maps can be downloaded for those with a penchant for boating and waypoints or marks can be left for points of interest.
It can track your path or you can input an intended path whilst giving distance traveled, avg speed, time spent traveling, elevation etc etc. At the end of it all your trip can be saved and exported showing where you went etc......Still working that bit out.

Big thumbs up for a free Iphone App.

Memory-Map Aus/NZ | Topo Maps | Marine Charts | GPS Software

Thanks Aido. I downloaded Mud Maps for my iPhone for this very purpose only to find that the VMS maps were two to three hundred dollars.
Question, do these maps use the GPS function on your phone and not require the 3G service?

Cheers Brad

Once downloaded you do not require 3G.
Using the Base maps alone gives sufficient coverage but for more detailed maps they are available and need to be downloaded prior to losing the 3G signal.
It relies upon the GPS doo dad in the phone to track your location etc.
Its free so download the app and fiddle with it and see if its right for you

My thought is, seeing the base map has reasonable content, use it to know where you are, then use a paper map to work out where to go next. Still getting my head around it, had a play with it after I saw Aidos post and told me top speed was 175kmh, go the d22!
Thanks for the info though Aido, live a good bargain!

Playing with this app now. Downloading free trial maps. The free trials last 10 days. I cant seem to find anywhere how much the maps cost after the trial runs out however. Would be nice to know straight up.

Looking forward to going for a drive and testing these maps out however.

Pete

Hey guys,

I have memory map on my iPhone 4S & iPad 2. I have paid for it though, but i did trial it first and was very impressed. Having it on the iPad 2 though i find the maps are a lot easier to see due to the larger screen. Not sure what you guys are using as a gps receiver though, i have purchased the XGPS150 from Dual Electronics. As its a bluetooth GPS receiver, designed for apple IOS devices, i find it works really well. I have just order a complete set of Hema maps from the memory map online store.

I recommend this software and hardware to anyone that wants an effective and easy to use navigation system.

You can also get the "4WD Australia" App on itunes. It features over 70 Hema maps. Costs $180. "VMS 4X4 Navigation" is another app which comes with maps. Costs $150. Dont have either. Waiting for more feedback before getting one.

wtf? i cant find it either? i have the free version but was gonna buy the full one but it aint there

Suspect Apple have removed Memory Map because the maps are sold outside of iTunes. With "4WD Australia" you pay the premium price thru iTunes. They did it with VLC player so you had to pay for video player apps.

Suspect Apple have removed Memory Map because the maps are sold outside of iTunes. With "4WD Australia" you pay the premium price thru iTunes. They did it with VLC player so you had to pay for video player apps.

Thats crap, glad i bought it before they removed it. Its a great app and the maps i needed were pretty cheap.

Important Notice:
Unfortunately, Apple don’t like our app and have romoved it from the AppStore pending some amendments.
We are scrambling to release a version that doesn’t have access to the Digital Map Shop (In the same way the Kindle app cannot access the Kindle book store) and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.
A good workaround, if you're prepared to pay $10, is to buy the HEMA USA app. This has all the same features as the Memory-Map free app but comes with/includes a roadmap of the USA.

Latest posts

Back