Metallic jingling noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneD40

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help me with a mystery noise. It sounds like it's coming from the front right wheel, but I'm not sure on that. It sounds like a metaly jingling/chain dragging sort of noise. It's only present when the car is moving and is worse if the road is bumpy. The speed/pitch/intensity of the noise doesn't appear to vary with speed.

I thought it might have been a rock or something caught in the wheel, but I've had it off a couple of times and couldn't see anything. Other things to note are that the wheel hubs have been replaced and it was there before and after that happened.

Here's a short YouTube vid with the noise. You might need to turn up the speakers and listen carefully to hear it: http://youtu.be/5qGbj5xAEiw

Thanks in advance!

Sound to me like something caught between the brake disk and the thin mud shield behind it. Or the shield is slightly bent and touching the disk. Mine did this and i just wedged a screwdriver in and bent it back out.

There is a thin piece of metal sitting behind your rotor, that could potentially be bent and scraping on your rotor or a rock could get stuck up there

Damn sorry I didnt see your post iceman, I had this open for a while and hadnt refreshed before I answered, look like we offered the same advice anyway haha

Thanks for the replies.

Just thought I'd update the thread as I found the source of the noise. Excuse the non-technical terms, but it turned out that the bolt at the top of one of the U shaped brackets around the leaf suspension on the rear had come a little loose. That bolt has a metal shield (I guess to protect it from rocks etc?) and with the bolt a little lose, the shield was jingling.

6 months of scratching my head finally solved!

Obviously not getting much rain up your way. If it'd been covered in mud it would have been quiet! :rofl2:

What's rain? :hmmmm2:

On the way home the other day we drove by a property that was a dust bowl as far as the eye could see. Looked like the owners had given up and moved on. A lot of cockys up here are just in survival mode, hoping for things to turn around (and some are mustering goats in the meantime). Buy Australian where you can & support Aussie farmers!

Latest posts

Back