Metallic rubbing sound coming from passenger side engine bay in-line with window wipers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louis2230

Reaction score

Hey legends! I have had this metallic rubbing sound coming from the passenger side engine bay in line with the window wipers I’ve taken the whole side pannel off still cannot locate the sound wondering if anyone here had the same problem only recently come about. When driving it’s a constant scraping sound does not stop but weirdly when I turn left (weight of car is on right hand side) it stops but turn right (weight of car is on left hand side) it gets so loud. Come to conclusion that it’s not the suspension but more like a plate is loose and rubbing against another. Hope you can help cheers!! Ps I uploaded a video to YouTube in the link above to show what’s going on.

Are the wipers turned on, and is the engine running, when this noise happens? What about the air conditioning fan? What happens if you turn any/all of these off, does the noise stop?

Are the wipers turned on, and is the engine running, when this noise happens? What about the air conditioning fan? What happens if you turn any/all of these off, does the noise stop?
I know the sound hasn’t got anything to do with those even when the car is off and I shake the car I can hear it. But usually supper prominent when I’m driving over bumps.

Hey,
If the car is off and you can make the noise it is likely to be body mounts, bump stops or lock stops.
Good luck chasing the ghost out.

Ok, so it's chassis/body related.

There are body mounts underneath, these can wear (especially if the car is flexed a lot, like when you're doing moderate to heavy off-roading). They'd be my number one suspect.

Then there's the assembly of the upper part of the car. You've got the guard off, so its not those bolts, but what if it's the main support behind the dash?

Other possibilities - the ABS lines? I wouldn't think the exhaust would cause that trouble. Could it be the windscreen itself?

Some models experienced cracking on the firewall but that appeared to be due to the clutch operation and a firewall that wasn't quite up to the task of holding the clutch mechanism. That doesn't preclude the firewall cracking elsewhere (although I've never heard of this - but that doesn't mean it can't happen).

Here's something to try. If you push the windscreen from inside (not too hard!!) does it make the sound? What happens if you spray water at the bottom of the windscreen, does the sound go away?

I know the sound hasn’t got anything to do with those even when the car is off and I shake the car I can hear it. But usually supper prominent when I’m driving over bumps.
my d40 did the same thing last year had a metal-on-metal sound over bumps to the point of a slow drive on a dirt road sounded like a never-ending peter griffin laugh.
I changed all the body mounts and both lower control arms and still no avail. Turns out I don't know the proper name but the rubber mount for the spring at the top of the coil over the 3 nuts had come slightly loose allowing some dust between the rubber and metal mount. I compressed the springs a little and loosened the rubber mount just enough for the pressure washer to wash it out and done everything back up and hasn't made a noise since. expensive lesson as the body mounts and lower control arms cost me about 2k to change out.

Latest posts

Back