Mickey Thompson STZ's???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has your speedo changed any with the differant size of the STZ,s that you put on

It has, but not as much as I was expecting/hoping. With the Contitracs it was out by around 8kph from 90kph to around 104kph. With the STZ's, its now out by around 5kph across the same range and it seems to be more accurate further down speed range as well (I've not had a chance to properly check it against the GPS, as there was too much traffic at that point in my journey to safely compare the speed readings).

Hopefully I'll remember to check it some time this week...

Good job, its good to get some real feedback on them.

No problem. One of my biggest frustrations when I was researching new boots for my Nav was the lack of useful feedback on what it was like to live with the various tyres people have on their trucks. Plenty of general comments on what's good and what's not, fair bit of information on how many k's folks are getting out of their boots, but not much on what they're like compared to a relatively known baseline or how people find them as a daily use tyre. Hopefully this thread will be of use to someone out there either looking at STZ's or looking for the various tyre options available.

Last edited:
Well i changed my mind and went for the Hankook RF10 after seeing them and talking to a couple of people and so far i couldn't be happier, over $100 less per tyre than the STZ's and so far better in every way than the factory tyres. I think for my application the STZ's were over the top.

Did another 130 k's of off-roading on the weekend. Just a comment to say the STZ's really are a good set of boots. Terrain ranged from a short/steep/rutted gnarly climb, followed by shallow uphill muddy sections, steep/dry ascents and decents to open forestry roads. On the trip was also a Jeep with Dick Cepik/MT FC2's and a Landcruiser with some pretty worn looking Bridgestones (not sure what model).
The Nav had no trouble keeping up with either car of the other trucks on the trip, but more importantly handled all of the terrain well. I've got very little experience in mud, so those sections were interesting, especially the shallow muddy climb. The treads of the STZ's stayed nice and clear and there was only occasional minor wheel spin. This obviously isn't what one would consider a 'real' muddy section of road, as the mud was the result of overnight snow. Nonetheless, I was quite impressed with the performance.
No real comment on the rest of the terrain, as the experience was much the same as the last trip - nothing to say, as the tyres did a grand job by remaining unnoticed.

One point of note is that I started the trip at 30psi. This pressure gave ample traction, as evidenced by the fact that we managed a very steep and rutted climb and decent without any issues. However, on the corrugated forestry roads I ended up dropping back to 26psi. This gave a more comfortable ride and seemed to make things a little easier on the truck.

Final thought for the post; having done more k's, the wet weather traction is still - unbelievably - improving. I think the trip on the weekend feathered up the tread a little more and the truck currently has neigh on as much grip in the wet as in the dry. Will be interesting to see if this continues or if it peters off with more road wear.

I know this thread has been commented on for a while. However I thougth I woudl proivde feedback as yours assisted me in my purchase.
I bought MT STZs for my D22 a few weeks ago. I did around 2000km on the high way last week and was very happy with them also drove trough apline country through hills and tyres held up well. I went off road on dirt, gravels and rocky roads for shorts stints while attempting some reasonable inclines up to APEX look out at Bright and they performed extremely well on all terrains. The offroad conditions were all pretty dry so can't yet report on that yet. Extremely happy however I have only foudn 1 downside is that when driving on gravel I found the odd small stones do get stuck in the tyre. I will post photos soon. These are great improvement from D693s but that is no suprise. Very happy.

I will be putting on a set of MT STZs this saturday , great write ups from group3j made my decision so much easier -

I just purchased the new model Bridgestone duellers on my 2011 D40 and have to say they are excellent tyres. Great in the wet weather and quiet too!. I recently went on a camping/4WDing trip to the FLinder Ranges and they performed well.

Cheers Steve

I will be putting on a set of MT STZs this saturday , great write ups from group3j made my decision so much easier -

G'day Gordo,

I'd be interested to hear how you're finding the STZ's.

From my end, after about 25,000k's, I'm still pretty happy with them. They're wearing pretty well (I'd guestimate about 50% left) and there's been no noticable change to their performance. I still find them pretty quiet on the road and they're still just as good on wet and dry tar as the first day I got them. I've not been off-road a lot of late but the last trip we did (just a day trip involving some modest rocky/shaley climbs) they performed flawlessly; good grip, not chipping. I should note that I'm pretty pedantic about tyre pressures, which also probably helps.

I've also had the opportuntity to give them a run in a pretty muddy bog. I've not got anything to compare them to, but I managed to get out of the hole without resorting to the winch after several minutes of 'back and forth'. I suspect a more aggressive pattern would have done it much easier, but I still came away pretty impressed.

About my only criticism of them is that they lack a bit of definition in terms of 'feel' on the road....I still feel like the truck walks around on the tread a fair bit. That said, I suspect this is going to be the case with any tyre that's designed for some offroad use.

Would I buy them again? Certainly...though, I'm thinking of getting the truck certified so I can legally run some slightly bigger boots (likely the 265/75/16 Mickey T ATZ 4 rib). If I chicken out or can't justify it, I'll certainly go STZs again.

Latest posts

Back