Morning! _ New guy here (UK) looking to buy first Navara!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunker

Reaction score
Morning all. I think Ive decided on a Navara. Im looking at a 2019 Tekna with 35k miles om the clock (£23k +VAT). What should I be looking for? He says its got full Nissan service history but says its every 18k miles, so the next one is due soon.
Also, Ill ned to ad a tow bar, he had the factory fitted electrics to be ready, what does this mean? I see the Witter tow bars need electrical work, or had that been done (I dont see a 7 pin plug).
MOT history shows a broken coil at 22k miles - anything to worry about?
Im really keen on this truck, looks great, anything you guys can help with guidance would be very much appreciated.
Thanks alot
Simon

Welcome aboard.

Broken coil: if it's the ignition coil, it had to be fixed in order for the engine to run smoothly. If it's the front suspension, you'll know it as soon as you take it for a drive. I'd suggest you need not worry about this one.

Electrics: there might be a loom in the back (left hand tail light, or underneath near the middle) that is ready for the tow wiring - if this is coming from a Nissan dealer, you could ask them to throw that in, but even if it's not, the installer of the tow hitch should be able to supply (and connect) the trailer plug.

I don't know what your regs are like in the UK regarding towing - here in Australia, if you're towing over 2T, you need to have an electric brake controller and in NSW, a breakaway brake monitor, which requires a 12-pin plug rather than the 7-pin.

Morning all. I think Ive decided on a Navara. Im looking at a 2019 Tekna with 35k miles om the clock (£23k +VAT). What should I be looking for? He says its got full Nissan service history but says its every 18k miles, so the next one is due soon.
Also, Ill ned to ad a tow bar, he had the factory fitted electrics to be ready, what does this mean? I see the Witter tow bars need electrical work, or had that been done (I dont see a 7 pin plug).
MOT history shows a broken coil at 22k miles - anything to worry about?
Im really keen on this truck, looks great, anything you guys can help with guidance would be very much appreciated.
Thanks alot
Simon
Welcome to the Forum mate!!

Welcome to the forum , lots of knowledgable folk on here , your nav will be a diesel , so no ignition coils ,but may have had a suspension coil replaced in the past .

Standard rear suspension can be bouncy when empty , a good set of premium shocks fixes that [ i use Bilsteins ] , forget about liftkits [unless you revise all the suspension, brake lines , tyres ] as they cause nothing but grief and expense.

Nissan tow electrics pack is plug and play altho expensive [ think £140 ish .., aftermarket kits are cheaper !! ] and you have a choice of 13or 7 pin plugs , 13 pin will cover modern caravans , adapters are available to enable you to tow a trailer as 7 pin is now reserved for basic trailers .

Electric brakes [ who thought that idea up ..!!] are an US and Australian thing , brakes in UK and the EU are mechanical or hydraulic overrun or can be air on more sophisticated set ups .

Witter towbars are a good bar and when fitted correctly make a neat and tidy set up , if you want it to last only use premium oil and change at 5000mls and change filter as well [ Mann and Hummel filters are what Nissan use as oem but at grossly inflated markup ..!!]

If thinking of covering the tub forget about rolltops as they leak and get worse as they age [ Pegasus in Bristol do a very nice solid cap ,tad expensive but i have one now for 3years and never had a leak] , there is an ebay seller in Norwich who trades tops and supplies fittings and locks at sensible prices and is good to deal with.

Bed liners come with problems as they harbour moisture and damp and cause the tub floor to rust over time , they also flex and rub the paint off the bed causing rust again , this can be prevented by pulling the liner out to enable the tub to dry out , i fitted a Bedrug , your knees will thank you for it ..!!

So a little insight into Nav ownership, had other brands but nothing comes close on ride and comfort i do trips from UK to Spain in one hit and would not use anything else .

The choice is yours , depends what you are going to use it for but i dont think you will be disapointed , good luck .

Sorry for the delay in replying but many thanks for your comments. I bought the beast and Im very happy now!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-12 at 12.27.56 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-12 at 12.27.56 (1).jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-12 at 12.27.56 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-12 at 12.27.56 (2).jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to the forum , lots of knowledgable folk on here , your nav will be a diesel , so no ignition coils ,but may have had a suspension coil replaced in the past .

Standard rear suspension can be bouncy when empty , a good set of premium shocks fixes that [ i use Bilsteins ] , forget about liftkits [unless you revise all the suspension, brake lines , tyres ] as they cause nothing but grief and expense.

Nissan tow electrics pack is plug and play altho expensive [ think £140 ish .., aftermarket kits are cheaper !! ] and you have a choice of 13or 7 pin plugs , 13 pin will cover modern caravans , adapters are available to enable you to tow a trailer as 7 pin is now reserved for basic trailers .

Electric brakes [ who thought that idea up ..!!] are an US and Australian thing , brakes in UK and the EU are mechanical or hydraulic overrun or can be air on more sophisticated set ups .

Witter towbars are a good bar and when fitted correctly make a neat and tidy set up , if you want it to last only use premium oil and change at 5000mls and change filter as well [ Mann and Hummel filters are what Nissan use as oem but at grossly inflated markup ..!!]

If thinking of covering the tub forget about rolltops as they leak and get worse as they age [ Pegasus in Bristol do a very nice solid cap ,tad expensive but i have one now for 3years and never had a leak] , there is an ebay seller in Norwich who trades tops and supplies fittings and locks at sensible prices and is good to deal with.

Bed liners come with problems as they harbour moisture and damp and cause the tub floor to rust over time , they also flex and rub the paint off the bed causing rust again , this can be prevented by pulling the liner out to enable the tub to dry out , i fitted a Bedrug , your knees will thank you for it ..!!

So a little insight into Nav ownership, had other brands but nothing comes close on ride and comfort i do trips from UK to Spain in one hit and would not use anything else .

The choice is yours , depends what you are going to use it for but i dont think you will be disapointed , good luck .
What us the model number of the Bilsteins shock you use, and what difference does it make to the ride. Have you any experience with air suspension on the rear? Many thanks for you advice.

B4 models front and rear [ i do not go off road , just the odd farm track ] just needed a quality product to replace my tired shocks , Bilstein produce a variety of shocks to cater for all tastes, if you want to go hardcore [and have a deep wallet ] ..
Air ride is not an option in Spain as any alterations from standard involve you in a mountain of grief and expense [ engineers reports , , CE marks etc ] , modifications of any sort are frowned upon .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back