Muffler or not??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joffo81

Reaction score
I currently have a full 3 inch system on my ZD30 (including dump and muffler). The turbo whistle is good but the actual exhaust is almost as quiet as stock standard.

I would like to improve the sound of the exhaust and I am considering removing the muffler altogether or replacing it with a resonator of some sort.

What are your experiences with similar set-ups? How loud is too loud?? I do have a young family so dont want excessive drone in the cab but I also love the sound of a good exhaust!

What sort of muffler/resonator should I use?

i used to run a muffler now i just run a piece of pipe...
yes its noisey but it adds 1psi more and adds a great top end for touring.

I run mine without a muffler & I think it sounds like an old Tug boat - but I don't care because its built for purpose not for sound qualities.

remove it, should sound nicer, and if you don't like it you can always put the muffler back on :cheers!:

Yep nothing beats a load exhaust on a vehicle that can barely overtake a bus, lol. But what he said^^ remove it, if its too loud and droney, put a hot dog resonater on instead. Probly get one for fifty bucks. if you can weld at all, its a pretty easy job.

I cut my muffler out a while back, when the engine is up to temperature its almost as quiet as standard, but when its cold it sounds like a Tambourine made from nuts and bolts

Thanks for the advice fellas. I will unbolt it sometime and see what it sounds like and look into fitting a hotdog if its too loud.

i run a 2.75 beaudesert with no muffler
its a bit loud but acceptable
UNTIL you try and tow something
its just too noisy
i put muffler back on yesterday after towing a mates boat
we need a varex exhaust for our navs

Beaudesert do a straight thru muffler (resonator) I have one on mine and it has a good note to it. So if you got the kit without the muffler you can get the one of them and it will bolt straight in.

Thanks for the info about towing sparra.
I hadnt heard of varex systems before but I just looked them up. Interesting concept but I don't know how they would handle the water and mud that our navs frequent!

I have a straight through resonator on my 3 inch exhaust system, if I chopped that out and fitted a straight pipe would that make her louder?

varex are something dickheads put on their riced out shit boxes. When open they are basically not a muffler but restrictive, when closed thy are EXTREMELY restrictve, and as mentioned above, i doubt they could handle mud and water 4wding.

Yes Jaymac - that's my understanding of how it works but i'm not speaking from experience!

Beaudesert do a straight thru muffler (resonator) I have one on mine and it has a good note to it. So if you got the kit without the muffler you can get the one of them and it will bolt straight in.

thats what i have
i reckon its too quiet
something inbetween would be good

Latest posts

Back