My d40 is slipping out of 5th gear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filthy

Reaction score
Hi every 1 I hav a smf fitted and now when I back of in 5th gear it is slipping out ... Can any 1 tell me more and y this Is happening ??

This was happening in my D22 3.0 mate, it was a rooted syncro.

I had to put a new box in her

The Problem been the D40 550 are only autos. I have no idea what a SMF is so i can't really offer any ideas

How many K's on the gearbox? Have you done a body lift?

I have seen this where someone has done a body lift and rubber boot around the shift lever was compressed in the upper gears, taking your foot off the throttle would make the gearbox move forward a bit on it's mounts and be enough to move the lever out of gear.

I'll move this thread out of the D40 550 Engine & Gearbox area into the D40 Drive Train area.

As for why it's slipping out - it could be a problem with the selector in the box, what happens if you hold the gear lever in 5th gear position maintaining a little pressure on it? Does it then slip out?

We've seen this before in the UK after the clutch had been replaced. It is something to do with the alignment of the box/bellhousing either in relation to the engine or on the mounts.

Ask the garage that fitted the clutch and flywheel to check their work.

Good luck

I'll move this thread out of the D40 550 Engine & Gearbox area into the D40 Drive Train area.

As for why it's slipping out - it could be a problem with the selector in the box, what happens if you hold the gear lever in 5th gear position maintaining a little pressure on it? Does it then slip out?

Thanks Old Tony I it was doing my head in why an auto would slip.

We've seen this before in the UK after the clutch had been replaced. It is something to do with the alignment of the box/bellhousing either in relation to the engine or on the mounts.

Ask the garage that fitted the clutch and flywheel to check their work.

Good luck

This is correct, its normally due to the gearbox alignment dowels not seating correctly, this causes the input shaft to vibrate in the pilot bush and will make it hop out of 5th regularly

Back