navara judder!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan_blue

Reaction score
well well I have a 2.5 TD 2006 stx and have noticed a problem when driving on the freeway at normally around the 100 to 120 mark. When i approach a hill and the engine revs drop off and the engine labours a bit, it kinda reaches a point where the whole car is vibrating as if you were going over bumpy road. Its almost as if its resenating at a certain vibration?

Its not nice and would love to know what it is, engine mount?

any help appreciated

Sorry didnt think it fitted into any certain section on here as I dont know the problem
cheers
al

Is it lifted? have heard some people have a fairly bad vibration when the angle of the tailshaft to the diff is increased due to lifting. can be fixed with some wedges inserted to adjust the angle of the diff i'm told.

just a thought.

at a guess i would say you have an auto,some shudder some dont.i think nissan spares have a additive for this.

well well I have a 2.5 TD 2006 stx and have noticed a problem when driving on the freeway at normally around the 100 to 120 mark. When i approach a hill and the engine revs drop off and the engine labours a bit, it kinda reaches a point where the whole car is vibrating as if you were going over bumpy road. Its almost as if its resenating at a certain vibration?

What engine revs is that happening at? It sounds like you're in too high a gear but I imagine that's not the case.

Thought about torque converter/DM flywheel?

Check the D40 warranty work thread, a couple of people have had the above changed.

Sounds like the torque converter to me too. Carts (from Cyprus) had his changed and reported on it in here. The feeling you get is as if the road surface suddenly changed. I get that in mine, but it's not very severe. I have 2.5 years of warranty left for it to get worse.

Mine had this too and Nissan changed the torque converter which stopped it.
Now it's vibrating again but this time I think it's a broken mount as it feels like I'm driving over a cattle stop rather than just a slight vibration.
To find out if it's the torque converter when you feel the vibration push the over-drive button and see it it stops, if so then go and see Nissan as it's a known problem

it is at low revs and when i put the foot down just a touch more it drops a gear and revs higher and it stops. If i push the OD button it will just drop a gear wont it and thus raise the revs and will stop as before.

Is this a Nissan recognised fault? and will they do the work as mine is an 06 model now?

Also as this has occurred a few times have the people that have had it had chips on? Im wondering as I do also and the chips create more torque will this be an issue?

any more advice appreciated

cheers

Last edited:
Not sure on the chip issue. Carts had a lot of lights up above the cabin, but not sure if there was a lot of stuff under the bonnet.

You could always pop the chip out and take it to Nissan and ask them to explain it.

yeah think thats what im gonna do, its booked in for next week. For info though, how do you change the gearbox oil on these? I can do most things on cars and just like finding out info before thats all

cheers
al

The torque converter is a known Nissan fault. If it's the torque converter it only happens in OD between around 70-100km's. If this is your problem Nissan can find out by plugging there consault II diagnostic tool in and run some tests (that's how they diagnosed mine).

It could be the chip doing it. Mine did it before I fitted a chip but was more noticeable once a chip was fitted. But then is saying that I know of a couple of people running in excess of 200HP in auto's and have been for 30,000km's or more without any problems so may just be a fault some have and some don't.

Hope this makes sense:hmmmm:

I to have the same concern, a shudder in the auto around 80 100 km's in fith gear, seems to happen going up inclines, i think its in the lock up torque converter, goes away after it has changed down a gear, i took it to a nissan dealer to look at under warranty, they were unable to fault. i was slightly pissed to say the least, as they had the car for a whole week. i am a machanic myself and told them what i believe the concern is, but palmed it off saying it did not log a code for the torque converter... I woul like to know if they would of found the concern if it had of been full retail!!!
I think i will code test it next time before i take it back so they can fix it (under warranty) mine is a 06 d40

From what I'm lead to beleave it doesn't throw up a code but there is some tests they can do with the Consault II which provides them some info.
Your right about it being in the torque converter lock up. That's why you only notice it in 5th because it's hard to get it to lock up in any other gear although Nissan say it will lock up in 3th or 4th as well but I have never been able to get it too.
Take it back to your dealer and tell them it's known fault and if they ring Nissan they will be able to give them the procedure for the tests they need to do to provide the relevant information.

thanks guys, i took the chip off at the weekend and it is slightly different. It does not do it as much and changes down a gear earlier, however i can still get it to do it so the fault IS still there.

Can someone explain why it makes the juddering noise and a little info on lock up if they wouldnt mind please?

The automatic gearbox is turned over by the engine, through the "torque converter" - which is almost the same thing as a clutch/pressure-plate assembly in a manual car.

However in the torque converter, oil that sits between two close-fitting plates offers some resistance to rotation but still allows slippage, so it's like a fluid-governed clutch.

At speed the old torque converters still slipped - therefore, not all of the engine's rpm were directly translated into gearbox input rpm. To overcome this, and negate this loss, they developed a torque converter that "locked" the plates, so engine rpm was exactly translated into the gearbox - effectively turning the fluidic drive into a solid. The automatic gearbox became more efficient, and the disparity between the manual's efficiency and the automatic became less.

The lock is governed (I believe) internally by the gearbox. I think in some vehicles, when the lock engages, the torque converter fights - or tries to slip past - the lock and this is felt as a vibration. The torque converter obviously shouldn't do this and Nissan replace the converter to resolve the vibration issue.

cool thanks tony, its going in tommorrow, can people list where they have had their convertors changed under warranty please also

I don't know much help this is to you but mine was changed by Cockram Nissan in Christchurch, New Zealand under instruction from Nissan New Zealand.

took it in and yes its the convertor. It is booked in for the change tommorrow, cant fault that can you!! all free of charge too!!

You're not far away from me, I'd be interested to see it "in the flesh" before the change. Is there a chance we could meet in town this evening and compare the D40s?

Back