NBN network.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'Day Gshannon,
I have been contracting for Service Stream down here in Geelong/Melbourne now for about 4 years doing there Optus ULL work and a few other service providers internet faults & PSTN line installations also. Hoping they get into the Fibre down this way also. At this stage i have only done a Clipsal Fibre Testing & Splicing course but that was over 3 years ago and havent touched it since.........
Would be good to get into it for sure, will be plenty of work down this way for years.

You got that right Matt, I am 30km's from Newy so about 3 or 4 years and they will start rolling it out in Newy.

They will do the capital cities first.

Dave.

This fibre only stuff has been going on for some time now and at 4 Vicurban estates that the Co i work for manufacture and install/fitout the exchanges,
so far at Epping, Pakenham, Dandenong and Keilor, and the rest as shown on gshannons map link

As has been mentioned NO more tv ants...no copper...

Simply,
fibre to each home, supplies TV, Voice and Data out from one box in each house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its going to be instersting to see who will have to pay to modify and retrofit all the existing homes cabling out there. I am guessing the NBN company will allow for some of this.

Some of the two stories will be impossible to re-wire, there is going to be some massive headaches due in the next few years!

Good point, but if there going fibre to the premises only and copper the rest of the house they should be able to use existing cabling.

Dave.

Yep, there will always be some little things to do like running another rg6 hook up to their existing splitter from the tv antenna and run a data cable as the internet is separate from the telephones

Bring it on I say, should be great for us small contractors. Especially for me in Geelong with the 10,000+ new home development starting its 1st stage very soon.

Yeah there is about 12,000 new homes said to be built my way in the next few years.

Dave.

fibre what

Am 25 km out of ballarat and it took about 6 months to bury our upgraded phone cable. Cant see anything new making it our way in a hurry,Except maybe a new phone bill .Thanks telstra

Am 25 km out of ballarat and it took about 6 months to bury our upgraded phone cable. Cant see anything new making it our way in a hurry,Except maybe a new phone bill .Thanks telstra

Aren't you guys next in line to get the analogue tv service turned off? That's new, it probably still doesn't work properly but it's new.

I am in the comms construction game and all I would say at the moment is don't hold your breath for heaps of NBN work until after the election. Given that the Libs stated policy is to can it and take us back a decade thinking wise, if they get in then I reckon I will change industries.

As both a comms construction worker and an underserved Telco consumer it is a vote swinger for me! Loss of the NBN probably confirms me for another decade as a consumer of low speed, poor quality services where no matter who I buy it from the lions share of the profit will be in Telstra's pocket. Unless some wonderkid comes up with a wireless standard that is actually useful, effective, fast and not badly degraded by distance, weather and how many users have bought it. Not even bringing into it that my own job would be looking decidedly more shaky.

I would like to see Julia Gillard get the arse but I dont want Abbott to scrap this new network.

The only reason I voted for Rudd was for this new network.

Dave.

NBN is an absolute must. Australia needs this if we are to progress with the rest of the world. That said, I find it a little contradictory that Labor are happy to implement the NBN but then they have the complete f*cking moron Stephen Conroy trying to censor our internet. Typical "Nanny state" Labor.

FTTH will drastically change our lives in technology, if you think the last 10 years has been massive, and the 10 years before that has been massive, then the next 10 years will be even massiver! Absolutely everything that can be delivered to your home electronically will be delivered via broadband (TV, voice/video telephony, ridiculously fast streaming internet, Hi Def video on demand, the list is infinite).

My advice for anyone who works in the delivery of radio, microwave or copper delivered services, go and get a fibre endorsement, get some CAT6A & CAT7A copper certification, and save up $80,000 or so for fusion splicer and some testing equipment.

Clipsal has bought out a new range of structured cabling in Cat6a (10gigs per second) and Cat7a (40 gig per second) and is impervious to alien crosstalk. These kind of speeds are pretty mind boggling for us in 2010, but if/when we finally get fibre to the home/office you'll be downloading files as quick as you can click on them. It's one thing to have fibre to the home, but the only way to have the most benefit is to have fast cabling right up the the computer.

I'm all for the NBN, but not at the expense of dipping into the Future Fund. This is Labors way of funding it and totally wrong in my opinion.

Also I'd like to agree that Stephen Conroy is the biggest waste of space God ever breathed life into, that man needs to go and take his head for a shit.

As much as I cant stand Julia Gillard or Kevin Rudd I agree with this network.

Tony Abbott's policy about boat people I like aswell and getting Australia out of debt, if Abbott promised in writing to keep this network then he will get my vote.

Dave.

I think the network is coming regardless of who is in government, Australians are working out what they have been missing out on and how far we are behind the rest of the world.

I don't understand the big deal on boat people, they are like less than 4% of the illegal immigrants that enter the country, the rest fly in! Seems like as soon as someone breaches our coastline (around 30'000 k's) it becomes major news.

Latest posts

Back