Need a Quick answer please re wheel nuts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara_noob

Reaction score
Guys i have found a cheap (enough) set of Navara wheels and RIMS, now the thing that scares is me is i once had an old jero and the dick heads used non alloy nuts on a set of alloys i bought at the wreckers so the nuts sheared off, and the wheel came off, luckliy i was braking at the time. So i want to make sure this time i get allot nuts for the RIMS.

will these fit, i found them on EBAY

NUTS: 12mm x 1.5, 36mm Long, 19mm Hex, 60 degree taper.

LOCKS: 12mm x 1.5, 45mm long, 60 degree taper.

Please make sure it is the size of your bolt or ask an advice from workshops.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16pcs-wh...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a78f0e2fe

Alloy wheel nuts?????? i dont think ive seen such a thing.
Alloy nuts and steel studs wouldnt be a good mix would they, the two metals dont really like each other and oxidise, after time making them impossible to remove.

What are the Standard wheel nuts made out of that come with the stock alloy rims??

Alloy wheel nuts?????? i dont think ive seen such a thing.
Alloy nuts and steel studs wouldnt be a good mix would they, the two metals dont really like each other and oxidise, after time making them impossible to remove.

Yeah not sure if the nuts themselves are alloy, but apparently, and i can only go off my own experience when my old nuts sheered off, that if you have Alloy wheels then you need to use a wheel nut suitable for alloy wheels, the ones you would find on say steel wheels can be to abrasive on the alloy and cut into it and cause to much wear, causing the nut to sheer off.

Also for future reference in case anyone else needs wheel nuts, the sizing for the D22 is with The thread specification is 12mm x 1.25

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16pcs-wh...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a78f0df05

Im going to get the above set off Ebay, i just feel a little safer knowing that these wheel nuts are the right sizing and for alloy wheels

Last edited:
Im not sure about ALL alloy wheels But on the D40 stock alloy rims they have a washer/sleeve where the wheel nut seats onto the rim to prevent any binding, and im pretty sure my old D22 stock alloy rims are the same.
I have a spare set of rims in the shed i will take a picture if you like.
The other thing i have noticed on my alloy ladder racks is when i put my alloy ladders on they rub really bad and actually rubbed a whole right through the 3mm alloy tube, you try and slide alloy on alloy as apposed to sliding a steel beam on alloy the alloy grabs way more.

This from an alloy ladder sitting on this alloy rack

file.jpg

Here are some photos of the sleeves that SHOULD be in the rims. They do sometimes FALL OUT so you should look and check them BEFORE putting an alloy on the car.

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

Taper would be the only variable. If your wheel nuts are stock and the rims are stock Nissan, you'll be fine. Make sure you follow the correct tightening sequence.

And yes the coefficient of friction between aluminium and aluminium is higher than steel-steel and steel-aluminium.

There is only two types of nuts, tapered and shanked with a washer.

All nuts I fitted over my 10 years in the industry were all steel. You can get light weight alloy nuts but wouldn't use them IMHO.

As far as I know all tapered nuts run the same taper and (unless the very small 7/16 old holden type nuts) will fit any steel wheel or alloy wheel with a steel insert.

wheels coming off are usually due to wheel nuts being over tightened on alloy wheels and un evenly tightened. put them on properly and you wont have a problem. once they have been put on wrong once and you get wear in one location you will mos well bin the wheel as then they just keep wearing other locations as they dont have a proper even seat, torque settings ftw ;)

Guys i have found a cheap (enough) set of Navara wheels and RIMS, now the thing that scares is me is i once had an old jero and the dick heads used non alloy nuts on a set of alloys i bought at the wreckers so the nuts sheared off, and the wheel came off, luckliy i was braking at the time. So i want to make sure this time i get allot nuts for the RIMS.

will these fit, i found them on EBAY

NUTS: 12mm x 1.5, 36mm Long, 19mm Hex, 60 degree taper.

LOCKS: 12mm x 1.5, 45mm long, 60 degree taper.

Please make sure it is the size of your bolt or ask an advice from workshops.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16pcs-wh...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a78f0e2fe

Just noticed that they don't come with the lock nut key. Thats pretty pointless then????

Just noticed that they don't come with the lock nut key. Thats pretty pointless then????

not to mention you wouldn't have enough nuts for the car... there's kinda 6 on d22 wheels, so i don't think 20 nuts will quite do it somehow, lol

Latest posts

Back