Need advice on how to solve my problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav Man D40

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im fairly new to the 4wd community and thought I could trust a "supposed" professional who owned their own shop. I recently purchased an Xrox bar and a winch to go with it. I had fitted the bar then wanted to move on to a lft kit before i put on the winch. I asked the owner of the store for his advice on what strength coils I should get and after telling him what i had equiped, said that because I had the Xrox bar (being light) will only need light springs. I still wasnt sure about this but decided to go with his opinion anyway.
When I went to pick the kit up a week later while talking to him I just wanted to confirm with him the light springs would be fine. He said to me as long as you dont place a winch on the bar you will be right..... I looked at him and said I told you I have a winch.... He then went on to tell me about nylon cabling to replace the steel cable would be a good option. That was another $350!!!

The winch is around 40kgs so I am obviously going to lose lift when I mount it and I can already feel that the front end feels heavy when I go over bumps and such.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem? will spacers work?

Cheers in advance for any help you can offer!

Last edited:
The shop owner was probably pretty smug to, $350 for dyneema or such or how much for front coils from a different shop of course, Then offload your others on here or the fleabay

Hi nav man d40, welcome to the Navara forum. Its a shame you have had such crappy service. When you get work done like that you should expect the installer to ask all the questions about what you intend to do with the car, what accessories you intend on having, if you intend on towing, then its normally best to have the car weighed. I had mine done at ultimate suspension and they actually weigh the ute at individual wheels so they can get an accurate total weight. They also suggested that i have the winch i wanted mounted before they did the lift so they could be sure what spring rate and what shock valving would suit my ute the best.

Fitting spacers will only raise the ute it will not make it firmer, which by the sounds of it is what you need.
The only way to fix that is to get firmer springs fitted. sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i think it is your only option. I would suggest you try and work something out with the company you started with, as it may work out cheaper. In my opinion it should be done for free as you did tell the guy what you where going to have fitted.
Having said that, im not sure if i would want guys like that doing anymore work for me, and there for getting anymore of your hard earned cash.

Hey all,

Im fairly new to the 4wd community and thought I could trust a "supposed" professional who owned their own shop. I recently purchased an Xrox bar and a winch to go with it. I had fitted the bar then wanted to move on to a lft kit before i put on the winch. I asked the owner of the store for his advice on what strength coils I should get and after telling him what i had equiped, said that because I had the Xrox bar (being light) will only need light springs. I still wasnt sure about this but decided to go with his opinion anyway.
When I went to pick the kit up a week later while talking to him I just wanted to confirm with him the light springs would be fine. He said to me as long as you dont place a winch on the bar you will be right..... I looked at him and said I told you I have a winch.... He then went on to tell me about nylon cabling to replace the steel cable would be a good option. That was another $350!!!

The winch is around 40kgs so I am obviously going to lose lift when I mount it and I can already feel that the front end feels heavy when I go over bumps and such.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem? will spacers work?

Cheers in advance for any help you can offer!

Was this company "Opposite lock" by any chance?

You can't really do much with lighter springs. Lighter springs compress at a different rate to heavier springs for a given weight, so even if you put a spacer under the coil to get the height back, the suspension is still compromised.

The springs need to be replaced. I would be taking those springs back in as good a condition as possible and asking them to trade them up to the heavier spring that they should have recommended in the first place. Hopefully they'll at least meet you halfway. You won't get full price back on the springs because they've been installed, but they should give you something of a discount because they're the ones that advised you to buy the wrong ones. An amicable - and non-accusatory - negotiation process with the guy ought to produce reasonable results.

Opposite lock in Penrith and there second shop in Narellan are great, the guys there have been into 4x4's and comps for a long time, they really know there stuff.
Maybe you could ring them and see if they have any advice on what you can do with the Rockdale store

Opposite Lock in Newcastle aren't that good either, the guy doesn't help you with what you want, he tells you what you want even if it not want you wanted.

I'd try Zordo, talk too him see what he recommends. He is a member of this forum who owns his own suspension show, I got my lift kit of him.

And welcome too the forum

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back