Need Opinions on Navara for Sale

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

docta.phipps

Hi Gents and Ladies,

I know most of this has been covered by people previously, but i just wanted to get honest opinions from both the D22 owners and the D40 owners for my specific scenario.

I have a couple of quick questions if people could help me with, it would be much appreciated.

I have about $30,000 to spend on my navara.

Can either buy a brand new D22 2010 through an ABN or second hand D40 with around 100,000 give or take kms.

1. If you are a D22 owner and had your chance to buy again, would you go a D40 with more k's or stick with your D22

2. Vice versa, if you are a second hand D40 owner, would you have rather bought a new D22 instead of the second hand D40

Most of my travelling is done freeway k's from Wollongong to West Sydney and about 1000 kms per week is done.

I also like to spend most weekends camping or offroading of some kind.

I know most of you favour your models bought but would love honest opinions if possible.

Cheers.

I wouldn't change my D40 for the world. Long-distance traveling is much more comfortable - the D40's seats are a mark above the 22's.

The D22 has more ground clearance from factory - the older D40 is lower-slung. I still take mine off-road and will be mixing it with the D22s this weekend at Yengo National Park.

Would I buy a D22 next time? Hair-styling jokes aside, the answer is 'no'. They might say the D22 is a more capable off-roader, but I drive long distances and I don't want to get out at the end of another 1,000km with my back aching, my legs cramped and my tail on fire.

Would I buy a second-hand D40 vs a new D22? Given that you're still spending enough cash to get a warranty, it doesn't matter hugely. The 2nd-hand D40 is going to be a known quantity - get on here and ask what peoples' experiences are with the model you've found. The D22 series doesn't seem to have as many technical issues and no recalls.

Another major difference - if you're ever going to consider towing - the D22 chassis is not as strong as the Spanish D40's (dual cab STX, VIN starts with VSK). The Spaniards make 'em tough.

Good luck in your search!

I bought a new D22 in 2008 (Last of the Jap built). I wouldn't change my decision if I had the time again.

Would I buy a new Thai built D22? Hmmm............

I bought a new D22 in 2008 (Last of the Jap built). I wouldn't change my decision if I had the time again.

Would I buy a new Thai built D22? Hmmm............

+1

And if your doing lots of highway kays I reckon the d40 will be more comfortable.

Re: Need Opinions on Navars for Sale

I've done a fair amount of long hauls in my D22 and I don't think it's that uncomfortable. I'd like another gear though, 5th just isn't tall enough to cruise as an overdrive. Almost 3,000RPM @ 110kph is a little thirsty. I get better milage in the city than on the open road. But getting a D22 is a decision I'd make again. Though the thai ones scare me......

Rear seat legroom in the D22 is atrocious, but the rest is good. Apart from bugger all storage space in the front.

I have nearly sconed myself in the head a few times when I'm in a rush to do something and I expect the back doors to actually open wider than they do, that gets me everytime.

Considering that we have only racked up about 90kms, I don't really have a lot of experience to base my 2c on, especially since we haven't used 5th gear yet. I'm happy with my D22 so far.

Firstly, you need to sit in each of them and take them for a drive.

Negative things you might find with the D22 is;
a) that it is a bit confining if you want lots of elbow room.
b) roof consoles seem mandatory if you want an installed radio.
c) where the frig do I install the reversing camera?
d) back seats are not really older adult capable and they take up a bit of volume. I'd probably go King cab and just rip out the dolly seats for the locked internal space.

Positives are;
a) it is smaller then the D40 and
b) $30K gets you a new vehicle with warranty and not someone's abused toy.

I'd always buy a new car over a second hand car, even if the new car was a D22. Unless you specifically want the bits added to the D40 that aren't on a D22 then atleast you will always know the history of your car, buying second hand no matter how trusted the seller there is still some doubt.

I wouldn't swap my D40 for a D22 but I wouldn't buy a second hand D40 over a new D22 if they were the only options.

1. If you are a D22 owner and had your chance to buy again, would you go stick with your D22

Cheers.

Yes I would.
Mine also is an '08 jap build and "agricultural",
and thats how i wanted it...with some old tried and trusted technology, diesel powered, and it smaller outside size was also a factor as a lot of bush tracks I venture up are not very wide

I got it cause it suits what I want it for...shooting, fishing and high country camping.

Its purely my play car only, hence why its still low on mileage for the age.

If it was to double as a family/wife/kids bus also, i would have gone for a patrol.

:cheers!:
Jim.

I am happy with my D22, 190,000km's on the clock and has been very good to me.

Dave.

I've driven plenty of D40s for work out NW Qld which usually consisted of 1200km round trips to job sites 80% sealed roads. Highway cruising was a good ute. Graded dirt roads was a god ute. Did it look crap with the low ride and skinny tires - Yup. First thing Id change if I bought one

Also had my own D22 that I put about 80,000km on the same roads, including the 3500km round trip from the Curry to Brisbane about 4 times a year. This was all on factory kit too - only started doing mods when I returned to the coast (what was I thinking???). While I would agree the D40 has nicer seats and more room inside, I never personally had a problem with the D22 on long highway trips. Take a test ride of both and see what you prefer. As a stocker, for me:

Highway - no difference IMO. Nice pair of plush wooly covers would help.
Corrogations - no difference (both as horrible as any other ute)
Off Road - D22
Beach - D22
Mud - scottybobcat's D22 please :)

If I had kids then the D40 would be better (after moving all the hair salon equipment out there's plenty of room in the back - had to squeeze one comment in)

Would I buy a D22 again against a D40? Yep. Suits me for what I wanted (camping and 4 wheeling)

Would I buy a new D22 vs 2nd hand D40 - Yup.

Would I buy a $25k D22 and spend the rest on mods vs a new D22 - Yup.

Back