New Boots & Fuel Consumption

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
Been getting around in 285/75x16 BFG mud tyres for about 2 years.

The straw came on the weekend and the camel's back was totally broken. After getting 504 k's from 65.xx litres of fuel, changes need to be made.

So the BFG's are gone. In their place are 235/85x16's.

Four of these (Cooper ST Maxx) ....

3-Cooper-Discovery-Tire-ST-Maxx-10-31-11.jpg

And because I get scared if don't have muddies around, 2 of these for spares (Hercules Trail Digger M/T - i'll get another 2 when I get rims)...

24480.jpg

The Hercules use the same carcass as Coopers (this is what I suspect from reading online), but they overlay their own tread rubber on top of the carcass, so you end up with a pretty tough tyre. Only thing is, I suspect the tread rubber of the Hercules is a bit softer and may wear quicker than the equivalent Cooper.

Why 235 and not 265? Well the 235's give me the same height as the 265's, but a narrower footprint. I'm running a tourer, not a rock crawler or mud slinger, so I'm hoping this size will improve my economy (it has to) and run minimal risk when it comes to puntures.

Being a bit of tyre geek, this all makes me quite excited!

I have the st maxx, in 265/75/16 on my d22. Done nearly 40 thou on them. IMO there a good all round tyre, not overly aggressive, and the side biters add that bit extra grip in the rough stuff

yeah I noticed worse fuel consumption after bfg km2s went on!

What size did you put on?? Also, every mud tyre I looked at, all weighed more than the equivalent size AT. It all adds up.

I have the st maxx, in 265/75/16 on my d22. Done nearly 40 thou on them. IMO there a good all round tyre, not overly aggressive, and the side biters add that bit extra grip in the rough stuff

Yep. I've known about the ST Maxx for 2 years and in that time I can't remember hearing or reading anything bad about them, I'm expecting a faultless run out of them.

Well the 235's are a joy to drive on. Everything is easier, hills, acceleration, turning even lifting them when you take them off, I can't see myself going back to a larger tyre.

I measured the 40's height with my old 3/4's worn 285's and measured the height again with the 235's, there's a max difference across all tyres of 10mm, so bugger all.

Looks a bit weird after looking at 285's for a while, the 235's look so small ...

Did some monitoring with Torque after the 235's went on and there's a slight improvement in the amount of fuel being sucked in by the motor. At the moment I think I may get back 1 litre of fuel per 100k's, I was hoping for 2.

Latest posts

Back