New D40 Owner

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucYld

Reaction score
Hi all just wanted to introduce myself to the forums, Ive been lurking here for a few months doing some research and bit the bullet and went out and bought a new white St manual . I'm doing the Simpson desert crossing in May next yr ( the 3 corners). So any tips on what suspension setup or tires would get me there and back would be awesome. I live in Sydney and i use my Ute daily for work. Cheers Carl

Welcome

Maxxis 980s or any good a/t. Long range take or jerru cans. And a basic 2" lift kit would be good. You will need a recovey gear too. Bull bar winch portable tree. Treds

G'day mate and Welcome.

You'll find plenty of good info here.

Suspension wise, a lift and better shocks are a good start. There is lots of different options, ways (brands) to go and every one will have and option. It's the internet after all :)

Seriously tho I'm a fan of mono tube gas shockies. Some under-body protect would be high up on the list to.

I'd add a compressor to that list, and deflate your tyres to around 20psi to improve ride and traction. Don't take dogs - the SA rangers (responsible for the Simpson) have been pretty anal about dogs in the past. Definitely go with underbody protection and extra fuel. The most you can have in a small vehicle is 250L.

3 corners - even the run from Camerons to Poeppls corners is difficult enough, but the run to Surveyor Generals corner would be something else - or are you hopping on to the Lassiter on the way? They'll charge you something like $75 to get onto the road heading west of Uluru/Kata Tjuta. Coming back is free, maybe starting in WA is the go?

I just remembered - Surveyor Generals Corner is on tribal land and you need a permit (from Alice Springs) to visit it and use the Great Central Road.

Thanks for speedy replies, i was going to get a arb deluxe bar with a 9000 pound winch,arb bash plates, uhf radio, snorkel and a lift. I have a set of maxtrax and 2 jerry cans so far I don't really plan on the heavy duty rock awd stuff say Nathand22 does. I'm more beach and desert touring. Tony i was planning a 3 week trip with my son and my best mate who lives in Adelaide (all though he drives a hilux). We are going to Lake Eyre, Williams creek then up the Oodnadatta track into Mt Dare then Poeppels Corner into Birdsville to Haddons corner then down to camerons corner. Is it worth forking out the extra $$ for ARB products? or Warn Winches. Will a 9000 pound winch be sufficient sorry i just have heaps of questions regarding brands i guess you pay for what you get like anything really.

Last edited:
For some things, sure. I use ARB straps, I will be getting ARB underbody protection, I have ARB's Long Ranger fuel tank and I've got their OME Dakar + Nitrocharger Sports suspension.

I'm on my second Aldi winch, this one is holding up better than the first - the first one's control solenoids shat themselves. I could have manually driven the thing, I could have repaired the unit, but instead I bought another new one, which has given me faultless performance. Ironman, Tigerz etc all could be considered, because the important bits of these winches seem to be fairly robust.

Ahh, Haddons corner. I hadn't considered that a corner (yeah yeah I must've failed geometry go on, laugh it up), so the trip should be fine without permits.

Back