new england tablelands

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dezzdash

Reaction score
has anyone been over to the new england tablelands, i hear and see pictures that suggests its very good. whats it like for the 4x4 tracks, i like getting away but not a good 4x4er justlike to get off the beaten track a bit.

East of the New England highway, there is stacks of forest trails and camping. Get onto the NSW NP&WS and NSW State Forests sites and search to you're grow old and grey. Plenty of stuff to keep you active and out and about in the Nav.

West of it is mostly grazing land, but still some stuff to do, like fossicking, etc

To make full use, you will need paper product, maps mainly, but if you're armchair in the Nav, the main roads will show up on a gps.

depends where on the tablelands you mean, there are a lot of scenic drives which do need some low range but nothing hard in the areas I have been near Tenterfield and Emmaville.

Just remembered there is a great track from Kempsey through Georges Junction to the Styx river area and onto Point Lookout, Dutton trout hatchery and Ebor. Great camping also at Wattle Flat on the way.

The boss and I just lobbed back in from a fortnight away for a funeral.

Places we stayed were;
Bowling Alley Reserve on Chaffey Dam between Nundle and Dungowan. $2/head/night(max $5/vehicle) $1 extra if you want a hot shower. Dam is full atm. Water activities allowed. All sealed road acess off the New England Highway via Fossickers Way and the Dungowan road. If you like a good bush drive, the road from Scone via Gundy to Nundle is very nice. Flush loo.

Apsley Falls Campground. $5/head/night. The falls were spectacular atm. Nice short walk around the southern rim, but the 2.7km Northern rim walk is closed as the foot bridge has gone. We stayed for a couple of nights, but you could use it as base if you want to explore other nearby places. Flush loo, coin in slot BBQ and wood fire places with NPWS firewood(green millwaste bits).

Also, should mishap strike you near Tenterfield, then the Jumbuck Motel is a nice place to stay. We broke a hub on the CT and spent three nights there courtesy of NRMA Plus whilst a replacement pair turned up. Free wireless internet access included. Peter at Tenterfield Mowers (look for the big sthill chainsaw on top) was also very helpful and has a good reputation around town.

Back