New Owner where shall I start with engine servicing upgrades . . .

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richNAV

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Just acquired a 2001 D22 4wd with just over 200k’s off a friend but with very little service history so for peace of mind going to carry out a major service.

So far reading old posts it seems I’ll change all the oils, fluids and filters and inspect the timing chain. What else do others recommend? It’s got a leaky rear seal but I’ll hold out on that till the clutch shows signs of wear.

I’m also wondering what entry level modifications I can carry out to improve the performance/fuel economy.

Ta in advance,
Rich

Which specific model and motor? Wasn't aware of any timing chain issues in those, was an issue in some of the later (2.5 diesel) ones though.

Hey Folks,

Just acquired a 2001 D22 4wd with just over 200k’s off a friend but with very little service history so for peace of mind going to carry out a major service.

So far reading old posts it seems I’ll change all the oils, fluids and filters and inspect the timing chain. What else do others recommend? It’s got a leaky rear seal but I’ll hold out on that till the clutch shows signs of wear.

I’m also wondering what entry level modifications I can carry out to improve the performance/fuel economy.

Ta in advance,
Rich
Just my 2 cents worth.
Check to see if EGR has been blocked off and if it hasn't block it. Fit a good quality catch can. Flush out intercooler after blocking off EGR valve. I also have replaced all rubber 'hoses with solid ones to the turbo, intercooler, etc for a bit more peace of mind.
Cheers,
Cuda

Which specific model and motor? Wasn't aware of any timing chain issues in those, was an issue in some of the later (2.5 diesel) ones though.

Navara DX Ute Tray 3.0 5sp Manual
ZD30 engine I believe

Nah from reaearch they’re no issues with them but for peace of mind thought I’d get it inspected 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just my 2 cents worth.
Check to see if EGR has been blocked off and if it hasn't block it. Fit a good quality catch can. Flush out intercooler after blocking off EGR valve. I also have replaced all rubber 'hoses with solid ones to the turbo, intercooler, etc for a bit more peace of mind.
Cheers,
Cuda

Hey Cuda mine is a ZD30 so no intercooler as standard (although hopefully looking to fit one) have read about blocking the EGR valve so will look further into that and how it’s done 👍🏼

I’m interested to know if anyone has fitted the Intercooler and bonnet setup from a YD25 or Patrol setup...

I add Fuel Doctor to my 2011 D40, cleans everything from the tank to the exhaust. It really does work, watch for the 1 Lt bottle on special at supercheap [half price]. It will break down any sludge in the tank [keep an eye on your fuel filter the first time you use it] you may need to change it.

Hey richNAV,

Get a dyno done (its cheap) to see if you have any issue internally, with the intake or with the Turbo. Mine found that the boost was a bit low and discovered a very small leak. Got sorted...
EGR Block and Catch Can for engine safety and disable the "swirl valve" for a bit more low rpm power and smoothness. I know it is not called swirl valve but I can't remember the exact name. You can find a good tutorial somewhere on the forum and it is the easiest improvement I have done.
I would recommend installing a boost gauge, EGT and if you can a coolant temp gauge from the radiator cap. This can save you engine with minimal investment if you are going to push the engine with towing or off-road.

Entry level mods: Get a minimum 3' exhaust, any 3' exhaust. Don't get trapped by incorrect advice and waste your money on stainless steel, performance or anything expensive because your gains are not going to be amazing. This will allow your Turbo to spool a bit faster due to increased exhaust velocity and change the sound. 3' will allow you to install it and not fiddle with the ratios, fuel, etc. but anything bigger than that you should get it tuned.
Intercooler would be the best mod in my opinion cause it will allow you to add a bit more fuel and we all know what that means... I do recommend a reputable brand for this upgrade. You can go DYI with a universal kit but make sure you get the math and tune correctly done otherwise.... 💥

That is all I have...

Hey @Danny-DO

Really appreciate the advice I’ll look up a Dyno in my area, the EGR block and catch can are on my list and it would be very neat to have all those gauges.

I just missed out on a 2nd hand 3-inch exhaust but will keep an eye out.

Ta, Rich

Hey richNAV,

Get a dyno done (its cheap) to see if you have any issue internally, with the intake or with the Turbo. Mine found that the boost was a bit low and discovered a very small leak. Got sorted...
EGR Block and Catch Can for engine safety and disable the "swirl valve" for a bit more low rpm power and smoothness. I know it is not called swirl valve but I can't remember the exact name. You can find a good tutorial somewhere on the forum and it is the easiest improvement I have done.
I would recommend installing a boost gauge, EGT and if you can a coolant temp gauge from the radiator cap. This can save you engine with minimal investment if you are going to push the engine with towing or off-road.

Entry level mods: Get a minimum 3' exhaust, any 3' exhaust. Don't get trapped by incorrect advice and waste your money on stainless steel, performance or anything expensive because your gains are not going to be amazing. This will allow your Turbo to spool a bit faster due to increased exhaust velocity and change the sound. 3' will allow you to install it and not fiddle with the ratios, fuel, etc. but anything bigger than that you should get it tuned.
Intercooler would be the best mod in my opinion cause it will allow you to add a bit more fuel and we all know what that means... I do recommend a reputable brand for this upgrade. You can go DYI with a universal kit but make sure you get the math and tune correctly done otherwise.... 💥

That is all I have...
Swirl Valve? the one in the intake manifold?

Swirl Valve? the one in the intake manifold?
there is two butterflies in the intake manifold on the zd30.
the big one is the egr and shutoff valve, the small one on one half of the manifold is the swirl valve.
plenty of write ups on here about it.

Navara DX Ute Tray 3.0 5sp Manual
ZD30 engine I believe

Nah from reaearch they’re no issues with them but for peace of mind thought I’d get it inspected 🤷🏻‍♂️
Generally the timing chain on the zd30 lasts the life of the motor, but it certainly won't hurt to check it!

I like to keep things as close to stock as possible as I look at reliability first and foremost. I think chips and exhausts, increasing turbo boost and so on just means that you have bought the wrong car to begin with. It's probably cheaper to try squeezing power out of a nav than buying something that goes well normally (a V8 cruiser would be good lol), not so sure regards longevity though.

I have i micro intercooler that makes no discernible difference performance wise and is more of a safety thing (for if there is a drastic turbo failure). There can be a few problems trying to get the other ones you mention to fit afaik. Seems like lots of work for not much gain but some people enjoy making mods.

Thanks @Horatius that will be my focus for sure reliability and preserving the life of the engine.

My priorities are major service, EGR blanking plate, Catch Can and Intercooler, anything else you recommend let me know 👍🏼

there is two butterflies in the intake manifold on the zd30.
the big one is the egr and shutoff valve, the small one on one half of the manifold is the swirl valve.
plenty of write ups on here about it.
I know that the thread is concerning a zd30, but I don't think that the D40 had swirl valves (flaps)?

I know that the thread is concerning a zd30, but I don't think that the D40 had swirl valves (flaps)?
not that i'm aware of.
zd30 was the first of the high egr engines. one of the big reasons for the swirl butterfly is to increase the amount of egr that goes into the engine (by blocking off half the air supply).
the D40 uses the variable turbo to achieve the same thing. i don't know if they changed the setup on the later spec D40's.

Latest posts

Back