new rear suspension set up.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40ryan

Reaction score
im happy with the front being ifs as it, cost way to much to sas and from my point of view you dont get that much more out of the swap for the money.
so i would like to see it anyone has ideas for getting the most possible flex out of the back.

dreamers/achievers only
if you want to bitch about mod plates and legalities politely **** off. :)

ideas so far

inverting rear shocks to get more flex, anyone done it/ have any ideas?
i may not be using the right terms but im talking about remounting rear shocks to be diagonal with the diff rather then one in front and one behind
they do the conversion with old hilux's

converting the rear end to coils and running really long travel shocks
(assuming this can be done with a 2-3" lift that way the car doesnt look to hectic and can still be used as a great tourer but with maximum flex and locker in the back to get you anywhere)

Get some sax springs. They'll do what you want. And they'll hold a low and still flex up.

Hahaha - Yeah after all that, talking about running a custom setup, the first suggestion is get new leaf springs. Probably a good idea though, along with the custom rear shocks. I think the sax 3 stage coupled with those new progressive shackles should provide an awesome amount of flex?

could run the sax later down the track but for now shock are limiting amount of travel and already have lifted leafs so shackles/shocks will be the next step.

Im guessing its not impossible to have custom length shocks made? Or look at running longer shocks with more angle, as you stated. I guess there might me more leverage put on the shock at that much more angle, so they would have to be heavy duty.

Would the sway bar prevent the leaves from moving side to side? What about welding a box on where the shack usually bolts through, and move the standard shackle down another 50mm or so?

Im still yet to see any photos of SAX leaves flexing! The way they are designed, i cant see them allowing much Up travel? Who has photos to show some proof in the design.

Also, what are progressive shackles?

Inverted shocks with coils would be best. Copy, use a Patrol rear end? Mounts/coil hats etc. Pretty easy, but getting it engineered would be the pain and $$

Im still yet to see any photos of SAX leaves flexing! The way they are designed, i cant see them allowing much Up travel? Who has photos to show some proof in the design.

Inverted shocks with coils would be best. Copy, use a Patrol rear end? Mounts/coil hats etc. Pretty easy, but getting it engineered would be the pain and $$

progressive shackles are kind of like drop shackes but they dont go side to side. they wont as a normal shackle but are like folded in half so when you have down travel you will get extra travel from the shackle its kind of hard to explain but here's a link
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-N...KLES-TOP-QUALITY-/370617615777#ht_2427wt_1186

yeh i have a couple mates that have converted there cruisers to coil rear end which is where i got the idea to try and gain as much flex out of the back end solid diff.

the progressive shackles look scary on road would be horrible but offroad would work well when going nice and slow. they would be a really good product if you could install a pin for when you want to drive on road so they work like a normal shackle.

progressive shackles are kind of like drop shackes but they dont go side to side. they wont as a normal shackle but are like folded in half so when you have down travel you will get extra travel from the shackle its kind of hard to explain but here's a link
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-N...KLES-TOP-QUALITY-/370617615777#ht_2427wt_1186

yeh i have a couple mates that have converted there cruisers to coil rear end which is where i got the idea to try and gain as much flex out of the back end solid diff.

Yep found them after i replied. Problem with those shackles & drop shackles is when they drop down for maximum travel, they just drop, don't have any spring force behind them, or weight force. So you dont achieve much more traction, just look good with heaps of flex. I guess they may give you a little more help but stuff all really.

Think that makes sense..lol.

Coils would be best. Finding the right shocks to suit and keeping it at the right height so the front isn't to low would be the hardest.

Pete

Mu guess would be to hunt the frontier website. If there is any way of lifting a truck and not having to worry about engineering, its the yanks. I'm sure someone over there has done exactly what your talking about.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349928827.563570.jpg
Looks like good flex from sax to me

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349928815.282551.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349928815.282551.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 84
Is that the sort of shocks they use on the skyjacker lifts? like this one -

Attachments

• toyotaTundraSlate.jpg
    toyotaTundraSlate.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 76
i already get about that with my current springs which are much much cheaper
the

youll actually find that your shocks are bottoming out and your springs may flex more. thats why i was thinking inverting the shocks to / \

Correct, but i guess the SAX leafs are meant to be a shit load more comfortable as well as offer flex.

I think my bilsteins shocks may be holding mine back also. They are 2" lift ones. I need to pull them off and see if i get more without them. What shocks other shocks offer more travel in both directions with the standard setup i wonder? I think rancho may do a 3" shock but not sure off the specs or if they would help.

Latest posts

Back