NEW Recovery Point Design (Help Needed!)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteyen86

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Been working with Macquarie 4x4 Centre the past few months to come up with a new design for Recovery points for D22’s.

We wanted something that came forward further for easier access and to be bolted in 3 places (chassis and Bull bar mount) for more strength and to reduce possible chassis damage from incorrect use.

Duncan from Macquarie 4x4 has had a prototype made up, as seen in the photos below. The photos show the points made in 2 halves, they will be welded together in the final product. This was due to the tight bend in the 10 thick plate. There is also a CAD drawing showing how they will fit.

Since I’m from Vic, we are looking for a Navara to have the points test fitted so we can revise the design if needed. Is anyone interested in offering their Nav that lives close to Macquarie 4x4 Centre?

The points were designed around my 2006 3.0lt Japan built Nav, so not sure how much has changed in the newer Nav’s. Mine also has Alloy Bar, although this should not matter.

Also, if you have aftermarket Sump bash plate, this will need to be removed for test fitting. Same as the outback points, they clash with the bash plates. New slots will need to be made in the bash plate. Ive attached a photo of this also so you can see what I mean.

Let me know if your keen. Would be a huge help and should lead to a better, safer product for us D22 owners.

Address for test fitting would be (i think);

Macquarie 4x4 Centre
18 Park Rd
Vineyard NSW 2765

Website;
4x4 Accessories | 4WD Accessories | 4WD & 4x4 Parts Shop Sydney

Thanks Pete

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
They look awesome! Although I fail to see how this design will provide a better sideways recovery point. Id be welding a gusset(?) between the two sides of the "U" shape. And swapping the side that the weld is on in the bottom of the "U"

That being said, I'd still have these on my truck!

They look awesome! Although I fail to see how this design will provide a better sideways recovery point. Id be welding a gusset(?) between the two sides of the "U" shape. And swapping the side that the weld is on in the bottom of the "U"

That being said, I'd still have these on my truck!

I know what your saying, but i in terms of pulling from the side, having 3 bolts is better than 2 and will reduce the likely hood of ripping the two bolts out of the chassis. Will change what i said anyhow,we just need a donner Nav! :big_smile:

G'day Peteyen86.

I am at Baulkham Hills, about 15 mins away from Vinyard.

I have an 04 Japanese D22. If you think that is of any use send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Goldy

Nothing to do with the topic but I used live off Old Northen Rd not far from there :smile:

nice.

however i do not like using shackles like that.
why not take it a step further and mount a hook onto it. that makes it a whole lot easier for use in clubs where rated points are required.
also instead of 3 sided mount, make it a square tube ??

nice.

however i do not like using shackles like that.
why not take it a step further and mount a hook onto it. that makes it a whole lot easier for use in clubs where rated points are required.
also instead of 3 sided mount, make it a square tube ??

I know some people prefer hooks and for valid reasons. Was trying to keep the design as simple as possible, Going by their website, all their tow points are rated though. "test our own rated tow points" from their website under recovery. I haven't spoken to him about this though.

Hooks would mean they need to stick out further also, i was trying to keep them in close to avoid decreasing clearances. But as seen in the other threads, it can be done.

Problem with square tube is you will need to cut big holes in it for access to the bolts or have longer bolts. They may tend to fill up with crud too.

All valid points though and i understand where your coming from. Final design is up to those guys in the end as they will be making, selling and dealing. Im just the draftsman who cant spell and gets told its my fault when the bolt doesn't fit..haha :suicide2:

Pete

Pete, here's some pics of the tow points I made for my 100 series Landcruiser. They are made from 12mm PL...BIS80 grade.

I would question every supplier when they use the word rated..provide evidence

016.jpg

021.jpg

027.jpg

030.jpg

Nice job mate. they look great.

I know, unless they have a W.L.L sticker on them, they are not rated. As long as they are a pretty hefty design and heaps of steel left around the eyelet, i dont think you will have a problem. Bolted in 3 spots like you have done and we are doing is the way to go.

Used the right way they will be fine.

Pete

Latest posts

Back