New turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kierenwatson

Reaction score
Hey guys my d22 3.0 l has a leaking turbo. It is very bad and i need a new one asap. It dropped. All the oil in a day. Genuine and or after market? Is it worth upgrading to a bugger turbo? That's in advance kieren

Leaking from where, i take it from the oil return or oil feed, you dont necessary need a new turbo if its just one of them..
however if you rang out of oil or ran low oil then you have have damaged the journal bearings. hope you havn't damaged the engine!

If you've just blown a seal (please guys, no penguin jokes) then replacing the seal is the cheapest option as long as nothing's been damaged.

If cost is a factor, a second hand turbo MIGHT get you out of trouble but as with anything second-hand, you don't know the history. The unit might have been mistreated - for example, repeated hot shutdowns - and be on the verge of self-destruction itself. New is always better but get in touch with niss4x4.com.au for a second-hand one shipped anywhere in Australia.

And better than Nissan's genuine would be Forefront's offering. I'd be looking at them if you need a new turbo.

It is on the inlet side around the actual turbo. I argued with the mechanic about it and the insists that they are not worth repairing

The turbo itself might not be worth repairing, but where the oil came from was unclear in the original post. Now it's clear it's either an internal bearing seal (not worth repairing) or an overactive PCV. Does the turbo make any extra noise than it used to?

if its not making any weird noises i would just disconnect the breather and clean up all the oil. then give it a run.
very very common for it to blow oil all over the turbo if the engine is over filled with oil and i have yet to have a mechanic who dosn't over fill it !

i would suspect that if its was the turbo itself leaking you would have oil over the intake pipe but not the turbo. typically the turbo gets covered because the oil (from the breather) leaks out at the turbo inlet hose connection.

aw ok i follow you, you can rebuild the turbo centre with a minor rebuild kit which cost me 60 from a local turbo mechanic, thats journals bearings and seals. Mark the wheel to shaft in respect to the nut and it wont need re balancing however if your not completely happy then get it VSR balanced for around 100.

Otherwise you can just grab yourself a new turbo, forefront are making some good products, ones which will boost power, and change your torque curve.

Hey guys, I'm just getting a forefront new billet turbo . Great price and availability, id rather just swap it out then have to possibly deal with more problems.

very very common for it to blow oil all over the turbo if the engine is over filled with oil and i have yet to have a mechanic who dosn't over fill it !

This, unfortunately, is a common cause of confusion for the average grease monkey. And I suspect many good turbos have been binned because of it.

agreed ^^^^

i asked keiren to have a better look.....he sent me some pics and looks like a blown oil drain line seal to me....or blocked oil drain causing it to blow shit loads of oil out the top seal of the drain...

unless its something like a cracked "chra" underneath

but thats just from some tiny iphone pics....he has another mechanic inspecting it first which is good.

holly cow a company that actually "did the right thing" rather than just sell him their product !
:rock:
:cheers!:

It turned out one of the plates on the intake side were warping once warming up for about 30 minutes. This was causing a gasket to not create a seal and then was spraying oil out in a thick mist. This would empty the engine of oil in around 20 minutes. I replaced with a forefront new billet turbo around 2 months ago and can't complain so far :)

Latest posts

Back