Night run - Sat 13 feb

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a look at the Lerderderg area and due to it being a state park there is little in the way of adventurous tracks. It would be more suited to a day trip to see the sights that make it so special during daylight - apparently one of the oldest geological sites in Australia.
If Jase is the only one in then I have considered a round trip that includes the top half and into Wombat. We have had 2" of rain here between midday and 1900 so there is a guarantee of mud and brimming bogholes. But thats not the only reason for going out there during dark. I would like to see how much nocturnal wildlife we can spot - Has anybody ever seen sugargliders leap from tree top to tree top? It is something worth watching. This area is also known for owls. There are tracks and areas I have ruled out completely due to the rain we have received and are going to get between now and then but I know of a few that will definitely be a lot of fun now they are damp added to the fact that they will be done after dark.
Absolutely looking forward to this one.

I've heard and seen bats hunting moths attracted by our camp lights, you could here the pinging of their radar increase as the homed in, quite amazing.

I've heard and seen bats hunting moths attracted by our camp lights, you could here the pinging of their radar increase as the homed in, quite amazing.

Sun up on Tuesday morning there was a flock(?) of bats over Diggers rest as I trudged into work.

I wont be going,got a scuba dive/cray hunt booked in for Sunday morning with a mate that doesn't get the chance to go that often.

Looks like i'm out for a couple of weeks now,
my nav after a truck backed into it today.

P2120091.jpg

P2120090.jpg

It's at the panel beaters now,i'm shattered. :angry:

Bit of turtle wax and that will buff right out!

New paint and panel down the LH side - look on the bright side.

Sidewall on that tyre looks to have been damaged. Make sure that is noted.
Were you onsite or on the road?

Parked easy 40 meters away from the job,in a paddock big enough to fit 10 houses in,out of harms way(i thought) and 1 out of the eleven loads we had delivered finds my nav.
But get this,he backed into it not once,BUT FUGKEN TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He reckons the first time,which is the bent down side step and the ding between the two doors,he thought he hit a soft patch of dirt.FUGKHEAD. So FUGKHEAD drives forward and then hits reverse a bit harder for a second bite. I was speechless.What he was doing over there in the first place i don't know,not even close to the job.FUGKHEAD.

It's a shame and a hassle no doubt - and hurts to see your pride and joy with a broken wing.....But the drivers company has at least 10 000 000 worth of cover so make sure that nothing gets missed. Even down to that front left tyre that has received scuffs and marks. Inspect it carefully to ensure that it hasn't damaged the sidewall.....
Talk to the repairer and since the side step is damaged there will be allocated funds to replace it - what's the make up difference in a set of solid bars instead?
Clouds / silver linings.
Pays also to note down the incident if you saw it and the conversation you had with the driver on paper now while it is fresh. Pictures also help so any camera phones get a gig at it?

I have phone video of the exchange of addresses etc,tyre is scuffed a bit but ok,bonnet has been moved across to the drivers side as well,panel beater reckons probably a few other things as well.I told the panel beater to fight his insurance company because i want a top class job,nothing less.
See how it goes.
I will work on sliders though,good thinking.
I guess i will have to change my sig now.haha.

Gee Ian that was bad luck. Don't get too good a repair job, otherwise you'll be reluctant to add some bush pin striping!

Last edited:
I'll get over it,angry right now though.
The new paint and panels will show up the pin stripes on the tub.
I'll have to do some paint matching. :big_smile:

I've calmed down slightly,back to the topic,have a great night guys.
Aido remember your memory card.
Pics please.:top:

Just got in at midnight
Definitely doing that again and would recommend it to everyone.

Got into Wombat off Carrols lane at 20:00 and quickly aired down before heading off down Firebreak 1 into Lerderderg -- Great track with a rocky descent into a creek crossing and then a long, winding and slippery climb out the other side up to Ratcliffe trk. Ratcliffe to Blue Gum and then onto Obriens. From Obriens turned right into XL track and headed north again. We stopped midway along XL track and killed the lights and engines to see what wildlife was about. The torch beams attracted insects which in turn attracted small bats - great to watch.
Heading further up XL we crossed Chettle rd and continued the northern section of XL but by this time a fog had built up and reduced visibility to 10m. Having 5000HP of lighting does not help in this sittuationand so from there on we had noses against the windscreen using low beam just trying to make out the track. Eventually the fog got the better of us and we decided to call it quits. I know we started out by heading south for home but somewhere along the way we ( read me ) got disorientated and ended up back at the northern end of the park before I realised. As if it wasn't hard enough in the dark but the fog was incredible.
At some point along the roundaboutish exit route the fog cleared for about 500m and we spotted an owl perched in a branch directly over the rd. Just done a quick goooogle about and it might have been a Powerful Owl. Spectacular to see.
Powerful_Owl_Barking_Owl.jpg

Thanks to Jase and his partner Katie for coming a fair way. Look forward to doing it again.

Only managed to take one video and if I can work out how to do it I will put it up.

Thanks Aido, It was a top night, Wait a few more months until it gets darker earlier then we'll head out again.
The fog sure did make driving a challenge, but still fun all the same. I got to test out my new BFG mud tyres, pretty awesome, can't wait for winter now!

That looks like the owl we saw, very impressive, didn't know we had owls that big!. We also saw a wombat (keg on legs) and some skips.

Where we went. Doesn't look like 3 hours of driving.

Attachments

• Night run through Lerderberg-Wombat S.F.jpg
    Night run through Lerderberg-Wombat S.F.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back