Nissan good for something...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eug

Reaction score
Some of you may have read that I had the towbar nicked off my car recently. Wasn't keen on chasing through insurance as it meant days off work for quotes, inspections and the fact that my excess would have covered a majority of the replacement costs.

Made a few calls to the various places for a replacement and was quoted as low as $500 (fitted) Autobarn to $900 (fitted) ARB for a Hayman Reece item. Nizzbits had a good price but freight was the deal breaker.

Thought I'd try my luck on fleabay and kept an eye on the listings for a few weeks with many ranging around the $270-350 mark (probably stolen too). They all looked a bit dodgy with unknown load ratings, chopped up harnesses, missing towballs, rust and most were at least an hours drive away if not interstate.

As a last try I gave my local Nissan parts a call, surprisingly I got a quote of $290 (excl. GST). "You beauty! I'll be there within the hour for a printed quote". Due to lack of funds I couldn't put an order right then, so waited two weeks for pay day. Called again just the other day to make the order and the guy says "Nah price is $490 blah blah... if you want it fitted it'll be extra". Told him I had a quote for $290, he reckons he punched it in to the computer again and says: "Oh yeah they're cheaper if you search under accessories". Whatever, just order it in and I'll bring the quote and I'll pay the quoted figure. So picked it up today, towball $12, harness $50, trailer plug $11 and 3000kg towbar $320. It's the same as the Hayman Reece with the additional horizontal bolts so I'm happy.

It's ironic because I'm stoked about getting a good deal for something I shouldn't have needed to buy in the first place. Bloody thieves! This one is getting welded in if the pricks ever think about upgrading.

As always get a written quote!

Cheers
Eug

P.S. - I've thrown the part number on the sticky, if anyone wants a copy of the quote for when they want to buy one themselves then shoot me a PM and I can email you a scanned version.

Last edited:
It's ironic because I'm stoked about getting a good deal for something I shouldn't have needed to buy in the first place. Bloody thieves! This one is getting welded in if the pricks ever think about upgrading.

Totally agree that you shouldn't have had to buy it in the first place.

Can I just make a friendly suggestion though, rather than weld to the chassis, go with welding a few of the nuts to the threads poking out the end or something? So you still can't get the bar out without a grinder, but a future owner doesn't have to deal with the bar being welded to the irreplaceable chassis? :cheers!:

Totally agree that you shouldn't have had to buy it in the first place.

Can I just make a friendly suggestion though, rather than weld to the chassis, go with welding a few of the nuts to the threads poking out the end or something? So you still can't get the bar out without a grinder, but a future owner doesn't have to deal with the bar being welded to the irreplaceable chassis? :cheers!:

thanks that's a good idea we'll have a look to see what's doable under the car.

yeah we wreck threads all the time it's a great way to make sure the nut never comes off. When your ready just grind through the nut and take the other half off with a shifter. Easy at home but you won't have it stolen again.

Latest posts

Back