Nissan noisy knockers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgyn

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a d22 2008 STR. It is fitted with roofrack, bull bar, lightforce 250 ml driving lights, 12000 lb Iron man winch with remote, 300 watt inverter, GME rx 4600 uhf and 6db gain antenna, tub liner and Allied wheels "wasp" pattern mags. I spent a shit load on it before I discovered the early morning startup noise. It is a great truck apart from the noise and the shit house customer service provide by Nissan Australia.

I purchaesd the vehicle in 2008 and had a shit time with the dealer right from the onset. It was missing a roof liner plug and when I asked for it to be replaced, one would have thought i asked for a gold rolex.

The dealings I have had with Nissan from that moment one have been more than sub standard to say the least.

I had the truck booked in for warranty work( the good old cold start engine knock that every one seems to talk about) This was at Martins garage in Mansfield. A nissan dealer where i purchased the truck.

I had booked a courtesy car to come home in as I had to leave the STR over night for them to listen to it at initial startup.
I took the day off work that cost me $350.00 not to mention the fuel to drive it there, 1 hr away. GET THIS.. I get there and was told the courtesy car was not available. I then had to drive all the way home again and then make another time so i could get the courtesy car to come home in.

I am still waiting to experiance the customer service and satisfaction that they rave about.

Finally the vehicle was looked at and i was told the clacking sound it made at initial startup was an injecter problem..YER RIGHT! so they had the truck for 4 days and replaced the injectors and told ne that the noise has gone away. Perhaps they were hard of hearing is my hypothesis.

I get the thing home and smae noise is there the very next morning i started it.. by the way this was ay 60000km.

I contacted the dealer direct and was basically told BAD LUCK JACK.

I then took the vehicle to Yarra valeey nissan who found that it had a cracked exhaust manifold and that the intercooler was blocked as well and it would all be replaced under warranty. GO NISSAN WHEN YOU WANT MY RETURN BUSINESS. This work was carried out in March of 2010.

Again the next day i started it at home....you guessed it clack clack clack.

I rang them and told them the noise had not gone away and there service manager siad GEE I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT HAPPENING IN ANY OTHER STR. Well guys he hasnt been around long has he( F%$#ing wanker)

They now tell me that because is has done 134000 ks they wont replace any parts under warranty.

I have now come to the belief that it is problem with the timing chain and adjuster that I am led to believe is hydraulic and doesnt tension up until the oil pressure bulid up.

The symptoms are as follows"

I hit the key and as soon as the engine turns over it makes the clacking sound and doesnt stop until the engine has been running for 40 to 50 seconds. It then is as quiet as the day I bought it.
It does it every morning and once it has been started the first time it does not do it again all day,
F(&#$ nissan i recon. I will never by another nissan as long as I am able to drive and i will never recomend them to any one.

Has anyone had the same start up noise? I would apprecitae any responses guys as I have the vehicle finanaced and will be paying for it for a long time. I need to take this problem by the balls and get is sorted.
Help with the problem would be greatly apprecated.

Regards to all ELGYN[/SIZE]

Gday mate and :welcome: to this fine forum.

Thats a bummer the probs you got but I'm amazed it not fixed as it just so happens that only the other day I was informed that nissan techs are the clueyest around....beats me.

Keep on trying though, someone here will steer you in the right direction.

Good luck and enjoy the forum...

:cheers!:

I noticed this noise only after I started using the genuine Nissan oil in my car, which is 10w-40 semi syn. Before I was using semi syn I had them run the Enviro 5w-40 advanced fully synthetic and it never made a noise. I have to add my car is a 09 model and only 38000kms on the clock. Only started noticing the noise probably 8000kms ago. As it sits at home all week and driven for like 15mins over the wknd im not worried about a lil clicking noise that as stated goss away after 15-30 seconds. Also I'm going back to the fully syn oil as I can buy it for a couple dollars more over semi syn. To me its worth it.

Rusty

welcome to the forum
and
welcome to the world of noisy diesel's
i feel your pain
my last car was a vy ss ls1 and i spent close to $3000 on engine because it rattled a bit
the end result was i had a f%$#@n fast car, that still rattled a bit
you will get more noise from an alloy engine diesel or petrol
i bought a new d22 and its noisy on start up, nissan say its ok,trusted diesel mechanic reckons its quiet for a diesel,its not using oil or blowing exesive smoke and its only done 15k
the grade and quality of oil you use will make a slight difference but its always gunna be noisy mate turn the music up and enjoy the ride

Turns out there's another possibility.

If the fuel you're using has too low a cetane rating it can upset the normal combustion process, which will make the engine rattle more.

Have you changed fuel recently?

:welcome:
Does it have any other symptoms? like using oil or blowing excessive smoke out the exhaust, or is it noisy under load like high revs?
I am still shocked that you got nissan to do any work at all never mind new injectors, manifold and the intercooler......... i think you have got more out of them than half the forum members put together, sad but true. Nissan do like to crap on there customers for some strange reason.
If you cant find some answers here i will be very surprised.

Anyway good luck with it and welcome to the forum.

Nathan.

Elgyn.

I started getting a clicking noise when I was using the 10w-40 Nissan oil or Castro oil. Since using the 5w-40 fully syn I have not had a click sound at all. The semi syn in 5w-40 may eliminate that click as krankin has already posted.

Mate, maybe you should try and record the sound it makes and post it up, as it has been said there are some cluey guys here on this forum that will either fix or at least head you in the right direction, ive recently done some oil changes myself and have noticed that the motor is a little bit noisier than normal mainly due to the differnet grade oil i have used from the mechanic that ive been using but after a minute or so its all sweet, as you said maybe its time to change the timing chain and assembly that certainly wont hurt you to do if your gonna kkep the 4by:cheers!:

Thanks mate I will give it a fly next service.. sounds like it could be the go.. tahnkyou so much.

Egr tube

Has anyone heard of blocking the egr tube on d22 str 2.5 cr

I belive that by doing so it will run smoother and not carbon up as much.
If anyone has done this mod i would appreciate any feed back.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back