Nissan rip offs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOWHUNTER

Reaction score
HI GUYS AND GIRLS

IM NEW TO THE FORUM AND I JUST WANTED TO PROVIDE A BIT OF A WARNING TO ALL NAVARA OWNERS.

I AM THE OWNER OF A 2012 D40. I WONT SAY PROUD BECAUSE AFTER TODAYS LITTLE EPISODE WITH NISSAN YOU MAY THINK TWICE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THERE THOUGHTS TOWARDS YOU THE CUSTOMERS.

ISSUE:
HEADLIGHTS LEAKING WATER CONDENSATION BUILDUP.

BOOKED IN WITH NISSAN LIVERPOOL TO INSPECT.

AFTER WAITING FOR 3 HOURS, SERVICE MANAGER COMES BACK AND PROVIDES THE GOOD NEWS, "NISSAN WILL NOT REPLACE HEADLIGHTS"

CONTACT HEAD OFFICE WHO SAY WILL LOOK INTO MATTER.
WAIT OVER A WEEK AND A HALF FOR RESPONSE, NOTHING, SO TAKE INITIATIVE TO CALL THEM BACK.

THIS IS THE OUTCOME:

SHAUN FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISES THAT AFTER SPEAKING WITH TECHNICAL SUPPORT THAT" THE HEADLIGHT SEALS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO BE WATERPROOF, APPARENTLY A DESIGN FLAW"

SO THIS IS WHERE IT STARTS TO GET INTERESTING.

I ASK HOW IS THIS GOING TO RESOLVE MY SITUATION. TO MY SURPRISE, IA AM TOLD "THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR A NEW SET OF HEADLIGHTS BECAUSE NISSAN HADNT DESIGNED THE HEADLIGHTS TO KEEP MOISTURE OUT"

I AM THEN GIVEN THE RUN AROUND FOR THE NEXT 30MIN OF HOW THIS ALL FALLS BACK ON ME THE END USER AND THAT UNDER SECTION W5 IN THEIR WARRANTY SECTION THAT THEY ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY "UNEXPECTED WEATHER"
IN OTHER WORDS HEAVEN FORBID IFF IT RAINS AND THERE IS A PUDDLE OF WATER OR IN FACT YOU DO USE IT OFFROAD. APPARENTLY NAVARA'S WERENT DESIGNED FOR OFF ROAD USE.

I ASK SHAUN TO PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION TO ME IN WRITING AND I AM THEN ADVISED "NO", WHEN ASKED WHY I AM TOLD IT IS NISSANS POLICY. WHEN I ASKED TO BE TRANSFERRED TO A SENIOR MEMBER I AM TOLD BLATANTLY "NO" THAT "I DONT HAVE TO DO THIS" HE THEN PROCEEDS TO ADVISE THAT HE IS TERMINATING THE CALL AS THERE IS NOTHING FOR HIM TO DO. I ASK FOR HIS FULL NAME WHICH HE WOULD NOT PROVIDE.

HE HANGS UP.

I CALL BACK, THEY WERE EXPECTING THIS, AND REBBECA THE SENIOR MEMBER ANSWERS, AND THEN PROCEEDS TO ACT LIKE QUEEN B AND TELL ME TO WAIT FOR HER TO FINNISH HER COMMENTS.

WHEN PRESSED ASGAIN FOR A REQUEST IN WRITING OF NISSAN'S FINDING AND DECISION, I AM ONCE AGAIN TOLD NO. WHEN ASKED IFF THIS IS COMPANY POLICY, SHE STATES "IT IS WHAT IT IS"!!!

SHE THEN STATES THAT I SHOULD SEND MY REQUEST IN WRITING AND AFTER REVIEW IFF THERE IS ANYTHING VALID FOR THEM TO RESPOND TO THEY WILL DO SO.

IN OTHER WORDS F$*K OFF!!!!!
THANKS FOR BUYING A NISSAN, KEEPING ME IN A JOB, BUT IFF THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND IT IS A DESIGN FAULT WE BASICALLY TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY.

THIS IS NOT OVER!!!!

APOLOGIES FOR THE LONG STORY
BUT WHEN I SPEND OVER $30K IN BUILDING MY NAVARA UP THE LAST THING I EXPECT IS NISSAN TO BE THIS LOW AND DECEIVING.

:pissedoff::pissedoff::pissedoff:

Simle
Rip them out and send them to Micks hid retrofits and hell convert them to HID for you :)

But yea Nissan suck sometimes.
Maybe it's the bomb threats?

Firstly, I should point out that they didn't spend $30K building your car. Your car sells for mid-$20K in the US. Here in Australia the balance is made up of import tariffs ( = free money for the gubberment) and extra profits for Nissan.

Now, to your problem: if it's a design flaw, the entire range should be recalled. The whole point of warranty is to make good "faults and failures that are not due to driver error or ordinary wear and tear, but attributable to the design or manufacturing process".

I would (seriously) go and see another dealer.

Sorry to hear of your issues, I would do as Tony suggested first if that leads nowhere replace your seals with a kit from Gary at Nizzbits. I went through all this with my body mounts and after 6 attempts with Nissan I ended up replacing them all at my expense whilst the vehicle was still under warranty and it being a well known problem. I wish you the best of luck.

Im the idiot who spent over $30k on accessories in making my nav suit my needs.

But what gets me the most is that they seem to believe they are king crap and a request of their findings in writing can not be provided. Heaven forbid that i may take that information and persue the matter legally.

I hate when i hear aussie jobs are being lost to overseas, but these mongrels are lower than low, and i refuse to spend my hard earned in keeping these pricks in a job.

Also tony, taking it to another dealership is pointless as i have been advised that they will still request approval from head office.

When i told dipstick shaun of the recall of the navara factory alloys due to a design flaw and that they were replaced immediately, he confirmed so asked the logical that iff there is a design flaw in the headlights why arent they replaced, the answer was simply "i dont know but they arent covered"

Fire off your problem with an email to Nissan Australia personally. A water filled headlight is a safety issue and could contribute to an accident.

Yeah that's BS bowhunter. I had condensation in my taillight about a year after buying my D22, while getting it serviced had them look at it, they said they couldn't work out why it was leaking so they replaced it with a new one.

You do of course have legal options, the easiest is to contact the ombudsman and possibly the ACCC for failing to satisfy warranty. This may be enough. If not, it could mean court. I'm a little rusty in the legal department but the Trade Practices Act could be your best bet under the section of 'merchantable quality'. As you have purchased a vehicle new at a cost of approx $40k a 'reasonable person' would expect that a crucial device such as a headlight would still be fit for purpose within 3 years of purchasing the vehicle (warranty period). This clause can even apply outside of any expressed warranty period. Sometimes companies will do things under the banner of goodwill (ie timing chains) but often it is a pre empt to being taken to court under this clause. 99% likelihood that Nissan would not risk going to court over a headlight. A letter from your solicitor should do the job all else failing.

Good luck and have fun with it if you're in the mood :chainsaw:

Seems a lot of this comes down to how good the service manager is. Unfortunately the good ones seem to be few and far between. In normal use the headlights should not have water ingress.

i would be looking at why the water got in.

typically its either a crack in it or the cover for a bulb is not on or missing.
i would look for a crack or its missing the seal/glue around the front lens.
also check the vent at the back is not blocked up.

they will always get condensation in them but they should dry out very quickly.

It is the seals around the glass. It is not entering from the back of the headlight.
So iff you were washing down the engine bay or had the bonnet open, water gets in between there.

The seals are crap. As nissan have said themselves, they werent designed to keep water out.

Also tony, taking it to another dealership is pointless as i have been advised that they will still request approval from head office.

When i told dipstick shaun of the recall of the navara factory alloys due to a design flaw and that they were replaced immediately, he confirmed so asked the logical that iff there is a design flaw in the headlights why arent they replaced, the answer was simply "i dont know but they arent covered"

I think there is a vast difference between dealers.

Dealer1: "Yeah mate, I'll check with Nissan" ... goes out back for a smoke ... "Nah mate, they won't touch it."

Dealer2: "I don't know where the headlight is."

Dealer3: "Mate, that is wrong. We'll get that fixed for you."

A good dealer that wants return business will act like 3. Unfortunately a great many of them are like 2, and some work like 1.

The thing is, the dealers already know what Nissan will and won't accept as a warranty claim. They don't need to call Nissan for 99.9% of the stuff they get, they just fix it and send in the paperwork. That's how it SHOULD happen ALL the time. Dealers don't make as much money doing warranty work as they do when they do servicing or repairs, so those on high rents or have to pay the dealer for the crack parties on Friday nights will be less likely to do warranty work.

So I say again - another dealer is valuable. If you're coming up the Hunter way, don't bother with Maitland Nissan, they're reportedly a bigger bunch of pr*cks than you'd find on a cactus. Newcastle (Klosters) has one of the better service departments (in my personal experience).

If you didn't take it swimming, then I'd suggest talking to consumer affairs along the line of unfit for purpose, aka lets rain into light. Warranty is three years, but you should legally be entitled to a car that will last 10 years()not all bits like tyres, etc). That is a really safety issue.

Surely the light could have had a drain hole designed in the bottom for any condensation, moisture ingress.

It is the seals around the glass. It is not entering from the back of the headlight.
So iff you were washing down the engine bay or had the bonnet open, water gets in between there.

The seals are crap. As nissan have said themselves, they werent designed to keep water out.

bit of sealant job done.

Because all the dealers are all independently owned they won't do them because they get charged buy Nissan. It's bullshit. Push it through the ombudsman. If not court it is.

Also how else are they supposed to keep there big flash buildings

Not sure if such a trivial problem derserves such a long winded rant . Especially in capitals. Im not sure why you are yelling at us . If that is the worst thing that goes wrong with it , id say you are in for many happy years of motoring in your Navara.

mine was replaced under warranty it just filled with condensation for no reason and no questions were asked.

Latest posts

Back