No Sway bar front flex

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course they'd say that.

I'd be chasing it up with RTA or an inspection station or somewhere. I know up here in qld vehicles were getting defected for not having their sway bars in.

I'm 99% sure its not legal on road.

Edit, sorry i just read your earlier post. I honestly can't see how they'd be okay with it. Must be different rules down there.

Im not sure if you read my earlier posts but i did check it with the RTA and they said there is NO law in nsw that states you HAVE to run a sway bar, so its perfectly legal and will not be an issue as far as passing any RTA inspection or passing for rego, and that was after i was transferred to the RTA technical/ modification department

Oopps just read your edit lol, personally i dont see why it would be a problem, Honestly believe it or not i cant tell the difference in any MAJOR way it is so minor i dont have an issue driving it with my family in the car.
I drove my old D40 for 100,000km and this one for 30,000km with the sway bar and have now done 25,000km with out it and i drive pretty hard every where i go and i also carry heaps of roofing materials on the roof racks ect, i just dont understand why a bar so thick can do so little as far as on rd handling, if you havnt driven with out it you would think it would handle or sail like a ship but is doesnt

That's the problem to many different rules in different states. The insurance company's should have to honor any RTA legally modified car/4x4. It's crazy how they have what they deem legal over the authority's. if is of to be on the road than it should be covered by insurance no questions.

Cheers

That's the problem to many different rules in different states. The insurance company's should have to honor any RTA legally modified car/4x4. It's crazy how they have what they deem legal over the authority's. if is of to be on the road than it should be covered by insurance no questions.

Cheers

Im not sue if i have miss understood, BUT
It is covered by NRMA as long as its considered roadworthy and in accordance with the RMS (RTA) which in this case it is.

Im not sue if i have miss understood, BUT
It is covered by NRMA as long as its considered roadworthy and in accordance with the RMS (RTA) which in this case it is.

Yeah that's the NRMA and the person you spoke to on the day. Call them back next week and ask the same question and you will probably get a different answer. I think it's great you got the answers you have, it's very encouraging to hear that but I have been down this path so many times and the answers change one person and one phone call to the next. That was more the point I was trying to make is that the result you got should be the standard.
Sorry if you took anything I have said the wrong way. Nothing personal at all. I read a lot of you post and value what you have to say.

Cheers

I've asked aami about mods probably 5 times, all they ever say is it has to meet registration requirements. If it's road legal it's insured.

Yeah that's the NRMA and the person you spoke to on the day. Call them back next week and ask the same question and you will probably get a different answer. I think it's great you got the answers you have, it's very encouraging to hear that but I have been down this path so many times and the answers change one person and one phone call to the next. That was more the point I was trying to make is that the result you got should be the standard.
Sorry if you took anything I have said the wrong way. Nothing personal at all. I read a lot of you post and value what you have to say.

Cheers

Nothing taken personally mate, its all good.

I do know what you mean about getting different answers, i rang them once to find out about "accidental fuel contamination" and pacifically engine failure due to poor fuel and got three different answers.
In the end i got one of the supervisors that did acknowledge i was covered to make a permanent note on my account and policy to highlight that area so as i personally would never have people say i wasnt covered, if ever i did end up with blown fuel pump and injectors as a result of poor fuel.

As for this particular issue i didnt bother as it is clearly stated all over the policy booklet, so as long as the modification isnt illegal you will be ok.

Good to know this. Did you end up getting those brake lines on. Just wondering how your pedal feels.

Cheers

Hey Nath, any chance you could take a pic with one front wheel off the ground, with:

A - Sway bar connected
B - Sway bar disconnected

Then we cann see how much more droop we may get!

Hey Nath, any chance you could take a pic with one front wheel off the ground, with:

A - Sway bar connected
B - Sway bar disconnected

Then we cann see how much more droop we may get!

I may have those pics already from different times, BUT i have removed the sway bar altogether now so to put it back on for a pic is a bit of a hassle because it would mean me removing the front bash plate ect and to be honest i just couldn't be bothered.

I will have a look and see if i have the pics you need.

The D40 will only get as much droop as is possible due to the UCA, the main advantage of the sway bar removal is not the droop but the compression, the front wheel will get allot higher in the guard now then it did before as you can see from the pic at the start of the thread.

Last edited:
when under full flex the front is now compressing down all the way until the coil actually binds up to the point the coils rings touch (this is only when it is under max pressure and doesnt happen on any small bump you do need to load it up), so depending on what coil and UCA you run you could get more out of it then i am getting, But i definitely notice how much more compression now with the sway bar gone then before and it also help activate the rear leaving the car more level fro longer then before and it also doesnt lift the wheels AS easy

Last edited:
After the weekend Nathan i took mine off. i forgot to measure it but do you think its at all possible that the sway bar could be holding the front down at all... and removing it could lift it a touch?

After the weekend Nathan i took mine off. i forgot to measure it but do you think its at all possible that the sway bar could be holding the front down at all... and removing it could lift it a touch?

I wouldn't think so mate, when you unbolted it, was it under pressure? mine wasn't.

If it were holding it down i would say it would be allot harder to unbolt and you would find it hard to release with out jacking the car up for eg.

Latest posts

Back