noise in the gear box

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been googling abit about gearbox problems and just wondering if it's advisable to change the clutch aswell while the box is out?

If you've got a dual mass flywheel, I'd be changing the flywheel to a SMF (and of course, change the pressure plate + clutch at the same time). Make sure the pressure plate is balanced to the flywheel before installation.

thanks Old Tony i'll make a few calls tomorrow to order the bearings, clutch and fly wheel and stuff. i've gotta get them mailed out as i live 3 hours from a major town.

i'll throw a few pics up when we start pulling the box out and no doubt ask some stupid questions..

have ya got any recomendations for bearings or brand of fly wheel / clutch? going to be keeping the nav for another 5 years so may aswell set it up right.
cheers

I drive an auto myself so I don't have any first-hand experience with any particular brand. You could see what yd25.com.au offer (I'd start here), or look at an Exedy HD unit which seem to be a popular choice.

alrighty... dropped the box and found i had a noisy throw out bearing and exessive play in the retarded dual mass fly wheel. both spnning back and forth and also rocking it side to side.
so, found the problem?? so i thought.
3 hour drive into Rockhampton to get the new heavy duty clutch and solid fly wheel and then 3 hrs back home.

had a look at the part number and it wasn't a H.D clutch so another 6 hr round trip to Rockhampton the next day. got back home at 3pm and had everything back together by 6pm.
dropped the car down BUT.... the friggin noise was still there...........

dropped the box back out a week later and have now got a bearing kit for it.
So with the box in 100 and 1 pieces we.ve found that the hardenning has come off the back of the main shaft where it meets the input shaft.

with a new clutch, solid fly wheel, bearings and a main shaft for the gearbox there shouldn't be anything else that could go wrong.. with the box that is.

pretty confident in saying that this will be the 1st and last Nissan i ever buy. 4yr old and only 87 000km on it.

Attachments

• gearbox main shaft 009.jpg
    gearbox main shaft 009.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 88
  • gearbox main shaft 012.jpg
    gearbox main shaft 012.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts

Back