Norseman to Perth

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

Any one here done the road from Norseman to Perth via Hyden?

I have heard it's pretty much a dry weather road unless the graders have been through. I've also heard that some spots are a bit close for comfort if you meet caravans etc.

I'm confident the Nav will make it but having never been that way before and copping about 6 inches of rain in 40 minutes last year when we got to Norseman I was wondering if the road was a viable alternative to the Highway. According to Google it will save about 120ks and get me closer to the side of Perth I want but if that distance saving means driving at 60ks then it may not be worth it.

I've done the bit from Hyden to Armadale so it's really only the section to Hyden I'm unsure of. Although rain can happen at any time and turn dirt roads into slush I'm looking at doing this in Dec/Jan if that makes any difference

I have not been on the Hyden road for a while but from memory the road is generally kept in a good condition as it is used a haul road for road trains to one of the mines along it. Not a bad road in general.
It can be very dificult to get past a road train on a gravel road as you can't see diddly squat for all the dust. I have on past occasions called the trail drivers on the UHF and asked them to let me know when to pass (can be scary as you are overtaking blind and relying on what the truckie has told you)

Personally I would still travel to Perth from Norseman via Coolgardie as time wise it is not that much different and a lot less stress.

You can always contact the Norseman Shire for the condition of the road as most of it is in their shire..

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info.
Having driven many trucks before I pretty much trust their drivers more than I trust other road users but I'll take your advice on board.

We talked to the coppers at Norseman on last year trip although we knew the rain we'd come through would have made the road impassable since our second car was only a crewman ute. I'll probably be asking the coppers again this year but in my experience the coppers really only know when the road is open not if the condition is good or average.

Having seen Wave Rock once before I figure thats more than enough so unless there is going to be a saving I'm not sure I'll be pushing to take the dirt in favour of the bitumen

Back