Not firing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno_D22

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Been finding heap of useful stuff on here over the last couple of months but I have another question for any veteran diesel guys out there.

I just put a new cylinder head on my d22 ZD30 and shouted it a new timing chain while i was at it. Its taken a couple of weekends but its all back together, turned the key and she wont fire...cranks but no light off.
I'm 90% sure all my timing marks were spot on so i'm tearing my hair out thinking of the cause before I have to take it all apart again :(

If any1 can help that would be awesome!:deadhorse:

Diesels at their heart are very simple beasts. Stick some fuel in a compressed chamber of air and boom.

So if you didn't forget the pistons, the only thing you need to check is that air is getting in and that the injectors are being fed fuel and are opening.

How's the primer bulb? Hard to squeeze? Try squeezing it up to 10 times.

In this cold weather, she'd probably appreciate a bit of warmth from the glows. Are they coming on?

Yeah, I thought the same.
I gave it probably 7 or 8 pumps before the 2nd and 3rd attempt after it didn't go the 1st time.
The glow plugs are working I could see the voltage drop on the turbo timer indicator.

If the primer's firm and hard to squeeze then it's something else.

The ECU has to open the injectors - could be a fuel pressure sensor not plugged in?

Not on the zd30 it has a computer controlled pump but is still mechanical injection.

I'd suspect air in the fuel system, try cracking the lines on each injector and crank it to make sure you are getting fuel to the injectors. The problem with the pumps on these is if you crank it too much with no fuel in the system or run out of fuel you can fry the electronics that are ont pump, then its big $ to replace that too...

Once again the forum has saved the day, cracked the lines and bled the injector lines and pumped the primer and cranked it. repeated probably 5 or 6 times and each time it fired a little more. Now she's running good.
Thanks again guys!

info for others......
you can also get this situation if you run out of fuel.
loosen the injector pipes. no1 injector i think is the easy one to get to.
and stand on the throttle while you crank. that will push maximum amount of fuel through which pushes the air out easily.
one fuel squirts out of the loosened injector pipe, tighten it up and it should fire up on that cylinder which is enough to get engine speed up to clear out the other lines.

Latest posts

Back