Not much money to play with

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicybeef

Reaction score
Hi, I have a d22 2011 don't have much money to play with.
Should I got a snorkel?
Or a 2" lift?
Or flood lights?
Or a winch?

I'm quite keen on eventually doing some extreme offloading and camping

Where abouts did you get your lift done?
And how much did it cost,

The plans you have are in quite diff price ranges. Have you put new tyres on yet my bfg at's made
a massive diff. only standard size coz im short and its my work truck. i think i would do 2 inch lift
for travel then tyres snorkel winch. the floodlights are relatively cheap to get if you dont need brand
names. i assume you have a winch bar already. good luck ben

Welcome to the forum.

While snorkels are beneficial because they draw in cooler air, you won't NEED one unless you intend to do deep water crossings. In the meantime, all you need to do is ensure that water splashing up off the wheels can't pass in through the inner guard to your air intake.

Tyres are going to be essential for traction off-road. I'd place more priority on these but they aren't the first place I'd aim at.

Lift is going to help your vehicle clear obstacles. Larger tyres lift the diff which is vital for travelling in ruts - but taller suspension is going to help you "step over" obstacles. Body lift is only really useful to help improve approach and departure angles and to keep the cabin a little higher out of the water. However I wouldn't waste money on a 2" lift if you're going to itch for a 5" lift later. I know it's not legal without certification, but people do it, get away with it and they enjoy it and that might be something you'll be after. If you are not, then the 2" lift would be my immediate priority.

For extreme stuff you'll want to add the following:

* Winch
* 4 recovery points on the chassis rails (one per rail per end of the car)
* full set of snatch straps, winch extensions, tree protectors, bow shackles, snatch block
* underbody protection
* snorkel
* wading bra
* UHF radio
* extended diff & gearbox breathers

What old.tony said but if you keen on getting away camping and having some moderate fun:

if budget is tight id go the lift first as that is the most expensive.
2" and some good 32" tyres will get u many places but not serious off-road.

you dont mention what your car does have already, personally id be looking at bar work, recovery points/gear and maybe some underbody protection as a first up followed by lift/good tries/comporessor

Last edited:
In this order is what people usually do

tyres>lift>bullbar>snorkel>everything else

better tyres make a massive difference, like a set of KM2's or MTZ's will take you most places, suspension you can temporarily wind the torsion bars up and then do a body lift which is fairly cheap, see Zordo's (John's) thread in advertising he sells really good body lift kits for about $400 from memory.

I went tyres first. Then snorkel (lived in a dusty place). Lights. Then suspension (rear springs and 4 shocks for ~$800). Bash plates.

Thx for your input everyone it's been quite helpful
Most people seem to be leaning towards a lift first and that's what I was sorta as well.

My ute is a 2011 4door str
Have a standard alloy bullbar from Nissan got a arb canopy and roof racks on it with a side awning
Tyres are maxxis at3's 265 65 r16

thats pretty silly advice, considering you have 50% chance of losing everything.

like playing lotto, the odds of winning oz lotto is about 1 in 8 million yet people still waste their money :/

probably recovery points 1st, they're not expensive.

you would want to put bash plates high on your list also.

then a set of tyres and lift will get you most places. have a look at blupac suspension (brand) if your on a budget.

then you can look at bodylifts, winches and bars down the track.

Back