novice 4X4 newbie/ muster interest

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myo13b

Reaction score
Hi all

I come across your forum by chance while looking for D40 s with this elec diff lock, which thanks to you, I now know may not exist in Oz.

I have owned a 98 Hilux before and did a bit of 4X4ing but nothing too serious. My wife and I recently bought an STX 2010 D40, my first upgrades to it were ARB front and rear bar. I'm not sure I'll get any serious 4X4 action in it for a few more years so I have not got around to a lift and have not upgraded to BF GOODIES yet as it will be the car to get our kids around in (When we have them). However, I'm interested in the NAV MUSTER you have organised, I went to the ADOS site it says the tracks are grade 3 and grade 4, can someone please fill me in on the different grades of tracks and what is suitable for a pretty much stock D40 and novice driver. I love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, camping and im always eager to see how my Nav will go and what it can handle.

Thanks for the welcome ;-)

Welcome to the forums myo13b

I haven't taken much notice of the grading system but one of the committee will probably be able to help you when they see this thread.

There are three tracks at ADOS.

As I understand it...

One track is easy an a stocker is fine.
Second one a little more challenging and you'd probably need a 2" lift and ideally bash plates and good set of tyres.
Third track is difficult and you won't get around without a winch or at least being snatched through the tougher sections.

But until we get there it is all unknown.

Regardless Myo13b discounted rego expires tomorrow 31 Aug so get in quick. Oh and welcome to the forum.

BH

I completely missed this thread, sorry about that!

The first track - a grade 3 - would be tough but doable in a stock vehicle, you'd not be able to use the hillclimb on the western approach to the 4 Sisters but you could do the rest if you picked your line carefully.

The second track - a grade 4 - requires a modified vehicle with some lift.

The third track - a grade 5 track - requires a lifted vehicle fitted with a winch. The winch is used to pull the vehicle up a hill - there's no chance of driving it (regardless of how many cylinders you throw at it!).

The gradings were done by the Dubbo 4WD club. You can visit their web site and see how they do their gradings, it might give you some idea of what to expect.

There are actually more tracks - the 4WD tracks themselves cover 1,500 acres of hillside, but we're not planning to use the further tracks.

Hello Myo14b

welcome to the forums ... you'd also be very welcome indeed to attend the Navara Muster. you will need to go to the Muster web site (see my signature below) and download the registration form and send it into me as quickly as possible.

Its only an easy 4 weeks until the Muster now.

Back