Odometer reading

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Reaction score
Did a bit of a check between my cars odometer and my GPS (Tom Tom) and came up with a discrepancy of 500m in 10ks.
Tom said I had gone 10.8ks but my odometer said 10.3ks.
Now I've just finished a 16,600+ trip and a discrepancy of this magnitude would affect my fuel consumption figures.
Over 16,600 there is a difference of around 830ks.
My 19.8/100 would then become - 18.8/100..
Was a bit high but was towing 2500kg +, a full load in the ute, and a roof rack of camping gear.

Did have some concerns whilst on the road as I would programme Tom who said, for example, 350ks to destination, but on arrival odometer said it was quite some ks less than that.

Anyone else found this in their D40.

My new Dueler 693s solved the speedo discrepancy I had but may have created another problem??

Or maybe my Tom Tom is wrong??

Jeff.::confused:

Id be happy with that, better resale value for less km's travelled.

My D22 reads accurate, 100km/h is 100km/h on 2 GPS's and thats running 265/70/16's.

Dave.

i'm hearing ya. i've got 265/75 which bought the speedo to within a couple of km's of tom's brother nav. but the distance is out. no complaints here though just means you'll be able to do more driving and show on the speedo.:rock:

Some have reported that there odo is accurate but I have found my odo is out by almost exactly the same figure as the speedo and I figured that since they were all part of the same bits the error was acceptable. I think there was another thread somewhere that suggested that just because the speedo was out wasn't reason for the odo to be out but according to scangauge both of mine are out uniformly

Thanks all.

Not really complaining bout it, its just my fuel consumption figures look better taking Tom Toms figures and I feel better too.

Jeff:sarcastic:

I have standard tyres. My odometer is near perfect and my speedo over-reads by about 12%, so I use my GPS's speed indicator.

Changing the tyre size will impact on both readings.

Installing a box from Jaycar to adjust the speedo WILL WORK, if you use stock sized tyres (in other words, the identical road size). The Jaycar unit goes in the line from the rotation sensor on the gearbox - that's where the ECU gets the data for the speedometer.

Data for the odometer is obtained from the ABS sensors (based on an average rotation of each wheel). You cannot influence this at all.

If you increase the size of your tyres, each wheel revolution will cover more ground than it did previously so your odometer will not read as many km travelled as you actually did.

Still, even 830k over 16,000km isn't a big deal (it's only 5.1875%) when it comes time to sell the beast. You'll have 275,000km on the clock and it should read 260,000km - you won't get much of a bonus for that.

It won't even have a dramatic impact on service intervals. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have the standard tyres on mine as well, on a recent 400km trip i compared the km,s on the GPS to those recorded on the odometer and found only a 3km difference(in my favor). So nothing to worry about there. My speedo however was out by up to 8k,s.
I tend to use the GPS as a speedo now as i believe it,s accuracy more than that of the speedo in the dash.

Hi Guys,
I have also become a fan of these GPS,s of late, i had a feeling that my speedo was out, mainly on the open highway,, i recently brought a GARMIN nuvi 1350 GPS unit and have discovered that at 100kph on the GPS, my D40 is doing 108kph on the speedo, (no wonder i was holding up traffic) and that with still stock tyre,s and rims as the D40 was brought and with 15000 km on the Clock, so i wouldn,t think that there was enuf tyre wear to influance that much of a differance,, Just thought i,d throw in my 2 cents worth of useless info,, and now i,ll check out the Odometer part aswell and see how that goes,,,

For those with compatible cars that don't use a GPS very often there is the option of using a Scangauge, it's about $200 but the speedo reading is accurate and it has the potential to tell you a lot more useful things than just the speed. I can't remember the last time I used my GPS but the SG is connected all the time and I rarely look at the speedo in the dash cluster anymore.

For those with compatible cars that don't use a GPS very often there is the option of using a Scangauge, it's about $200 but the speedo reading is accurate and it has the potential to tell you a lot more useful things than just the speed. I can't remember the last time I used my GPS but the SG is connected all the time and I rarely look at the speedo in the dash cluster anymore.

Do you input the tyre diameter to get an accurate reading?

Nope I haven't got bigger tyres on mine so letting the ECU tell it the speed is reasonable I guess. Can't say for sure if everyone else who also says their SC speed reads true to their GPS is running standard sizes or not.

Latest posts

Back