Oil Leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4runna

Reaction score
Some help please guys,

I have found a few drops of oil under the engine over the last couple of weeks and i have tracked it back to somewhere around the turbo / rear of the engine someplace, I have crawled underneath but can't seem to find the source from that angle.

I pulled the air intake off the turbo and found a little oil sitting in the turbo just before the impeller so I have given that a good wipe out along with giving all of the hoses a good wipe out as well.

I also spent some time giving the body of the turbo a good wipe over as there was some residue on the housing and some of the hoses.

There was some evidence of oil down the side of the block and on the diff housing but no obvious leak source, It looked like the oil had been there for a while!

This morning when i was backing out for work i noticed a fresh drop of oil on the floor again.

Does this mean that the oil will continue to leak from around the turbo ( being an ongoing maintenance issue ) or is it coming from somewhere else?

Its really bugging me as I am stumped as to where it is coming from.
I have read and am considering a Oil Catch can to alleviate this issue along with the benefits the can brings.

My question is,
1, Is this a common problem
2, Am I looking in the right place for the leak
3, What catch can should I buy? What brands are better than others?
4, Do they come with filters.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The oil in your turbo is resolved by a catch can. Size doesn't matter, it's where you stick it that matters. In the hot engine bay, the oil isn't going to be encouraged to condense and return to liquid state inside the catch can - it'll keep moving through to your intercooler, where it will happily return to a liquid. Mount the catch can in front of the radiator then go clean out your intercooler.

This oil might be leaking out of a join in the pressurised air intake (that is the section of piping between the turbocharger and the intake manifold). On the left-hand side of the motor there's a section that comes up from the turbocharger and runs straight forward through a metal tube that is bolted to the engine. I've seen oil leak around this before - and on that occasion it looked like the hose clamps had been overtightened, causing the hose to fold thus creating an opening. It was surprising that under boost conditions the squeal couldn't be heard!

That may be the entire problem. Check that all the charged air hoses are retained properly - the clamps should never be overtightened to the point where the hose is being damaged. The clamps are there purely to retain the hose, not bind it into submission.

Back