OK, let's talk tyre pressures......

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i run 40 psi on the bitumen, tyres wear nice an evenly and u dont have that feeling like your driving a boat :p and when i hit the beaches i run about 12 psi never had a problem and the car putts through anything, got 31inch muddies by the way

hey guys, this has probably been answered but after some info, as im new to all this 4x4.

Still running stock D40 tyres, 255/65R17, still yet to get onto the beach, been out bush a few times, scenic rim park etc, I am unsure when I am meant to reduce air pressure.
Can anyone recommend when I should, dirty rockey small ruts, should I reduce pressure?
Normal road pressures are front 38 and rear 40

hey guys, this has probably been answered but after some info, as im new to all this 4x4.

Still running stock D40 tyres, 255/65R17, still yet to get onto the beach, been out bush a few times, scenic rim park etc, I am unsure when I am meant to reduce air pressure.
Can anyone recommend when I should, dirty rockey small ruts, should I reduce pressure?
Normal road pressures are front 38 and rear 40

Do you carry loads all the time with those pressures? They are a little to high for an empty ute. I drop my pressure basically the minute I get off the black top. I dont mind airing up everytime though. I usually air down to 18 for sand and mud but last trip I aired down to 25 and had no issues with traction on wet clay. I have road pressures of 35 allround that's with a canopy and dual battery in the back plus alloy bar upfront

pretty much always have weight, outback solutions drawers, dual bat and also I carry work tools. Work ute and weekend fun ute.

would 30psi be a good pressure to run for rocky and rutty trails? or even lower?

I don't mind airing down or up got a good compressor

I would say depends how loose it is. I generally just air down cause your never know what you'll end up in. Maybe go lower. Its only gonna give you a bigger footprint and more traction

i have always run 36 all round as i also rotate my tyres every 5-10,000 km and tyre wear appears to be fine, offroad usually go for 20 in the front and 22 in the back, and then go up or down from there depending on conditions or weight in the back

Bridgestone dueler 265 75 r16, 40psi front and 35psi rear on the road (unladen) wanders a bit but gives me the best wear. 28psi for offroad and 16psi for sand.

Running bfg all terrains 265/75. 40 on road and depending on what the sand is like, down to 15.

I run trail digger mt's off road 265/75/16 and I normally drop to 25-20. Taken wet clay mud and some pretty rutted places with it no worries. Small load normally load rating e btw.

Onroad I run them at 38 on road and get good even wear. It's all trial and error. Don't run on beaches as I want to avoid any chance of rust/salt but its always safer to go 20 or lower to save your self a headache. On sand ur better playing it safe.

I got some new at's I'm not sure what to do with now though. General grabbers at'2s load rating e they said upto 80psi I was confused as all hell. Running them as my daily tires at 40psi and they seem ok but have no idea what I should be running them at. If I hit the dirt I think I'll go to 22-20ish. Not sure how they'll take mud though.

Hmmm, so far I haven't needed to air down one single time regardless of mud, sand or rocks. Of course it always depends on the trail & inclines too.

I had stock Maxxis Bighorns (255/65R17) with 35Psi according to truck's specifications.

Now I'm running 285s again at 35psi for general purpose driving, no worries so far (mud, street, sand, gravel).

I once had much lower pressure due to a faulty tire inflator at the gas-station and went through much snow and mud with approx. 28 psi or lower, it was noticeably better when things got dirty and with 4wd ride was awsome.

I need to get me a tire-inflator but good ones are pretty expensive, cheap ones on the other hand take too much time to inflate just one tire.

On bitumen I run my Maxxis Bighorns at 40psi.

Offroad I always drop straight to 18psi. It makes the tracks a lot smoother, increases my tread footprint for more grip - increases my 11.5 inch wide tyre into a 12.5 inch tyre and even wider if more pressure/weight is on that particular tyre and it allows my tyres to adapt to the contours of sharper rocks to avoid potential tyre slashing.

Probably important to note that reducing tyre pressure isn't just about providing more grip or improving off road performance, it's also about prolonging tyre life and reducing damage to the environment.

Back