Old Man Emu front springs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Std D40 hub to guard measurement is anywhere between 495mm to 515mm depending on weight of accessories

When i do suspension lifts on D40 i can usually get 570mm to 585mm hub to guard again depending on accessories
Cheers

Hmm....interesting indeed; thanks very much Zordo. I'll have to have a ponder on what to do next in that case. If I decide to go with some new springs, you'll be the first I call.

I actually want the truck to remain legal, and I've gained 7mm through marginally bigger rubber. I was hoping that the OME kit would give me 40mm for a total lift of 47mm, thus staying under the 50mm limit and avoiding the engineer. While I clearly don't need to worry about certification, 25mm-ish is still somewhat disappointing....

Just did a measure on mine: 550mm centre of hub to top of guard with arb bar, lights and 265/75/16 tyres (have taken winch and bash plates off)

My mates was 520mm with arb bar, winch, side rails/steps, lights but stock suspension and 265/75/16 tyres....

Mine lifted alot without the winch and bash plates on but I want it atleast that height with those extras.

Just did a measure on mine: 550mm centre of hub to top of guard with arb bar, lights and 265/75/16 tyres (have taken winch and bash plates off)

My mates was 520mm with arb bar, winch, side rails/steps, lights but stock suspension and 265/75/16 tyres....

Mine lifted alot without the winch and bash plates on but I want it atleast that height with those extras.

I would go with a 15mm coil spacer.
The spacer will give 25mm lift
Cheers

Zordo, I had and EFS kits applied to my ute 09 titanium. Which promptly scrubbed through the outside of the tyre. It apparently had a wheel alignment after the lift..... anyways I got a new sets of shoes and got another wheel alignment and they said the adjustable camber bolts were at thier limit. I had approx 560 centre hub to guard. At the same time as the new wheel alignment I had a steel bullbar put on which lowered the measurement to 525 and after 15k no signs of scrubbing which im happy with but not the nose down appearence. Was thinking of whacking in a set of spacers but then I will be back at scrubbing the tyres out... Or is the wheel alignment "experts" pissing in my pockets.... do you sell offset camber bushes too?

cheers
matt

Last edited:
Got the OME in yesty, truck ride great now. Measurment on front driver side is 565mm. Truck looks good now and drives great. ARB said to give it 1000kms and go back for a checkup and it should have settled in by then

Some D40s but not all suffer from not enough camber adjustment.
If that is the case you need offset bushes or new UCAs
Nolathane & Pedders supply offset bushes.
Upper offset bushes are easier to fit than the lower offset bushes

For tappet
I usually use Dobinson or ironman coils on lovells struts
Dobinson are a bit stiffer than Ironman
Lovells struts have an ajustable spring seat by using a steel collar similar to ironman.
The steel collars are included with the struts
The steel collar will have the same effect as a coil spacer
Cheers

Anyone with the strut spacers and lift have any dramas with CV angles? I've asked around a few shops and they're all telling me not to do it and just leave my car as it is....

I think they're just trying to cover their ass...

Opinions?

id like to know any info on the lift and strut spacers as well. I've herd that the uca hits?

Walace - I had to just bite the bullet and do it, I hated seeing the front sit so low after having the OME suspension installed. I've had the strut spacers in now for 2 weeks and had no dramas - did the first 4x4 outing yesterday and still no knocking or noises.

The uca was touching the top of the strut hat when I first installed them but I took a short drive and they must have settled again cause now there is about 15mm clearance. Got a wheel alignment and they had no troubles at all.

Currently saving for sossel's uca's - but for now I'm very happy with the results

Thanks for that mate, I checked it at work today on a pile of dirt with the front maxed out there was around 20mm space between the two, does anyone do a 15-18 mm spacer? What size did you fit? I spoke to the guys at cal off road they ate testing a uca and he said try back next week they should know of they will be available

Mine has only got to come up 30mm on the front so I'm chasing a 15-18mm spacer if anyone knows where I can get one?

Thought I'd just post a postscript to the replacement OME springs ARB supplied me with.

Seems the problem is ongoing. The new springs sat around 550mm at the front for several weeks....right up until we went and did an offroad trip. Came back and the truck looked a little lower in the front so I broke out the tape measure. Front had sunk back to 535mm. :mad: Had a good look around to see if something had failed and....nothing; all looks good.

I subsequently called ARB and had them give me the specs for the springs. I've apparently twice been supplied with OME's heaviest spring, which is 480lbs/inch (I do have the rest of the specs someone if someone is interested). I did some ringing around and found Superior Engineering sell 3 different brands of spring, allowing me to compare notes. Seems OME's heaviest front spring is a lightweight compared to pretty much everything else on the market (which is probably why it rides so well). After much discussion with Stuart at Superior, I ended up purchasing some Dobinson front coils @ 535lbs/inch. My Nav is running front bar, winch, lights, side rails and sump guard.. Apparently Dobinson's have a similarly configured D40 missing only the sump guard and they have a consistent 550mm. So, we'll see what unfolds. Much more grief and I'll sell all my OME gear and go for a 3 inch kit with 32's and just deal with the need to engineer it...... :/

Final update.

Dobinson coils are in. Result; immediate improvement. After a week of road driving (including hammering a few speed humps), they've sagged 5mm, having a guard to hub clearance of 550mm....much better than 535mm offered by the OME units. Cost was $220; well worth it!

Now just need to figure what to do with the OME coils. May advertise them, noting they're probably no good for a D40 with bar/winch/bash plate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back