Opinions on upgrade requested.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vornar

Reaction score
At the risk of starting a 22 v 40 debate.

I currently own a D22, it has around 40,000km on it.
It has been a fantastic car so far and i have no issues with it.
I originally bought it intending to do some more spirited four wheel driving (and because a D40 was out of my price range back then). Lately i have been really pulled towards the D40, and have found myself wanting to upgrade more and more. The prices have come down significantly, as i only need to purchase the ST instead of the STX version. I want to put a canopy on my car for my Engel fridge when touring, and i really don't want to spend it on a D22 canopy if i only end up upgrading later on, this has led me to the decision to upgrade earlier than i planned.

Our needs have also changed slightly:
1. We now have a Jayco Swan Outback Camper Van, and i regularly tow it long(ish) distances, the D22 is rather sluggish fully loaded.
2. I do not do any hardcore type four wheel driving.
3. Our 2 kids are getting older and require a little more space in the back seat.
4. I am getting lazier and would like to not have to go up and down the gearbox everytime i go uphill.
5. A little more room for me would be nice as well.

I am after some advice from owners of the 2012/2013 ST auto:
1. For towing, is the auto really better than a manual, and why?
2. Do you lose much power in the auto, and is it a slug to get moving before the turbo spools up?
3. Can i still use low range to reverse my van, even on concrete/asphalt?
4. What is the RPM in a stock bog auto at 100km/h? (My D22 sits on about 2400rpm).

I have test driven the ST and STX, and i am not interested in the STX, i didn't really like it TBH.

So please, let loose with your opinions, i am really unsure.

Thanks.

You can keep what you have and update various things for towing and exceed the power of the d40 but you will still be stuck with that damm rear seat if the kids are growing it will be a problem on long trips also it will never be as comfy as the 40 i kept the 22 my van and gear is about 1.8tonne most of the time i am in 5th but i have spent 2.8k on motor mods and done the full efs lift perhaps if most of your time is onroad go for the 40 if you can get a good trade otherwise update the 22 but you are still stuck with that bloody rear seat,

should get a triton :p

you will loose a lot of money selling that D22 to buy a D40 ST brand new.

If your going to be towing anything, go the auto.

Less stress on the driveline, no slipping the clutch on take off. D40's are geared high.
As for the turbo spooling up, the torque multiplication effect of the auto will help off the line not detract from it.

Keep in mind there is some good deals around available on Isuzu and Mitsubishi but I still think the Nav feels better and drives better on road, particularly on long trip. Space in the rear is as good or better than those two. The D40 still holds it own in some aspects. .

With automatic locking hubs you cannot use 4low on a hard surface like the 22.
Chip n zorst the 22 for power.
Good deals on all NEW cars ATM, means poor trade value.

I have a 2012 ST auto and regularly tow 2 different bopats, ones a ski boat weighing approx 1300-1400kg and I barely even feel it, the other is about 2100kg and it tows that really well, does feel it on hills but will comfortably sit on 105kph on cruise and I have 265/70R17 tyres as well and have done no engine or exhaust mods, so power and torque is excellent. not on par with the V6 of the ST-X, but exceptionally good for a 2.5L 4cyl diesel.

I've also done trips from Brisbane to the Hunter Valley straight through and it's a very comfortable tourer, I can sit in it all day without any problems

Latest posts

Back