Outside Temp Display

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourke72

Reaction score
Hi Guys, can anyone tell me where the sensor is mounted for the Ambient Temp that displayed in the dash on a 2012 D40 Navara 2.5, since washing the engine bay my temp is not working correctly we have a 30 degree day here today and my temp in dash says 20 i was told once its in behind the r/h headlight? any ideas on location? might need to clean out any water in it>

My 2009's sensor is near the vertical bar in the centre of the radiator mount (in front of the radiator). Makes sense to have it in front of the incoming air stream.

I have not seen the outside temperature gauge on my dash
Where is it
It's possible I don't have that feature
D40 2008 STX Spanish build

Under the clock
12102008067.jpg

My 2007 Spanish STx didn't come with the temp display. However there was another thread, something about "Ambient Temp" in the title. After reading this thread I obtained a sensor from the local stealership. and following the instructions in the thread the display works fine.:cheers!:

The readout doesnt show in the dash until you connect up a sensor
Here is the original thread
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=72&highlight=show+temp+dash

Inside that thread are links to what we did way back then and part numbers etc and how we came to figure it all out

If its not in there I can find the actual resistance vs temp readings .
We did try various thermo couples but could never find just the right unit for the job.Many tried to do their own thing but at the end of the day we went with Nissan sensors and as far as I know they are all working to this day

AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE INDICATION
Combination meter displays ambient air temperature on clock display.
With ignition switch ON, “°C” blinks for a while. Ambient air temperature indication can be selected between
Centigrade and Fahrenheit.
Combination meter reads ambient air temperature signal from ambient sensor.
Signal is supplied
 from combination meter terminal 49
 through ambient sensor terminals 1 and 2
 to combination meter terminal 50.
When a temperature detected by sensor rises, combination meter controls increase of the indicated temperature
depending on engine heat and other effective factors.
 If the vehicle speed is more than 20 km/h, the indicated temperature rises according to the vehicle speed.
 If the vehicle speed is less than 20 km/h, the indicated temperature is maintained.
When a temperature detected by sensor falls, the temperature is indicated immediately.
NOTE:
 The range indicated on the display is between −30 and 60 °C for Centigrade or between −22 and 99 °F for
Fahrenheit.
 When the temperature is from −40 °C (−40 °F) to −30°C (−22 °F), “-- °C” is indicated on the display as
over range.
 When the temperature is under −40 °C (−40 °F) or over 60 °C (140 °F), nothing is indicated.
 When indicated temperature becomes less than 3 °C (37 °F), ambient air temperature indication blinks
warning. After blinking for 20 seconds, only “°C” blinks. At more than 4 C° (39 °F) the display stops blinking.

Self-Diagnosis Mode of Combination Meter GKS0005D
FUNCTION
The following items can be checked during self-diagnosis mode.
 Sweep of gauges pointer
 Present gauge data values
 Odo/trip meter display and clock display segments
 Condition of warning lamps/indicator lamps controlled by unified meter control unit
 Battery voltage
 Driver's seat belt buckle switch status
 CPU of unified meter control unit status
OPERATION PROCEDURE
To initiate combination meter self-diagnosis mode, refer to the following procedure.
1. Turn ignition switch ON while pressing clock switch (1).
2. Press and hold clock switch until “tESt” is indicated on odo/trip
meter display (within 7 seconds after the ignition switch ON).
3. Release clock switch when “tESt” is indicated.
4. Combination meter self-diagnosis mode starts.
5. Press clock switch to go to next item.

From the NISSAN MANUAL
Temp vs resistance across terminals 1 and 2 of the ambient temp sensor

Temperature [°C (°F)] Resistance value [kΩ]
(Approx.)

–20 (–4) 15.8 kΩ
–10 (14) 9.60kΩ
0 (32) 6.02kΩ
10 (50) 3.87kΩ
20 (68) 2.55kΩ
30 (86) 1.74kΩ
40 (104) 1.20kΩ

Thanks Aussie Frontier,
Makes an easy start for me, by chance has anyone measured voltage across the sensor?
Will look into it once I've picked up my ute next week , would love to work it out and hopefully nice and cheap

Back