Paint is coming off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like others on this forum Dave was supreme before he got that many posts, the number of posts just confirms he is now super supreme...with anchovies.

After washing my car last Thursday I noticed areas where the paint was missing. I can see the primer and there is a circle where the clear coat has cracked. The car is only 14 months old.
Took it to Nissan who dismissed it straight away, but I'd like to find the cause.
There was nothing spilt on the car and i don't even let guano stay on there before washing it off.

There are a few other spots in the same area as well.

What could have caused it?

p1-1.jpg

p2-1.jpg

p3-1.jpg
I'm a painter by trade and also an ex Technical paint rep. I can tell by looking at those pics it's not going to be covered by warrenty as it's had something spilt on it.

Being a 2 pack baked enamel I'd say either a brake fluid, acid (i'm betting acid as it's clear and not noticeable at the time) or even bird crap from 6 months ago. Bird crap wont actually show the damage it's done for a good 3 to 12 months later. It usally starts out looking like a big water mark and then the paint starts to break down from the inside out similar to what you have there. That doesn't look like bird crap though

Even chalk dust left on paint for a few weeks is enough to eat back to the primer so in all honesty there could be 100 different things thats caused it.

Having seen 100s of factory stuff ups and warrenty repairs over the years something like that which is obvious that something has been spilled on it they wont cover it. You can see clearly in the pic the clear has been eaten first, then the base coat and then in the middle a bit of the primer.

Cheers Mick.

Last edited:
I'm with Mick, its a spill of some sort. Bummer.....
A painter will fix it easy enough. A shame, it'll get worse so you'd be best to do it sooner rather than later. Imo

To me it looks like a solvent called gunwash known to those in the painting industry and used to clean sprayguns ect they pour it into condoms or balloons and throw it at your car.

Mick is spot on basicly it's acid based and as the photo's suggest it looked like splatter i don't think nissan will help nor should they sorry that it has happened.:pissedoff:

oh yes it will it is more damaging than brake fluid cured paint or not no bird crap has done that but just my opinion we have just removed 4 kids that have done this aspley northside brisbane

The second pic looks like a spot on my GF corolla roof where sap from the freaking tree out the front dripped on it and it ended up looking like that.

I'm a painter by trade and also an ex Technical paint rep. I can tell by looking at those pics it's not going to be covered by warrenty as it's had something spilt on it.

Being a 2 pack baked enamel I'd say either a brake fluid, acid (i'm betting acid as it's clear and not noticeable at the time) or even bird crap from 6 months ago. Bird crap wont actually show the damage it's done for a good 3 to 12 months later. It usally starts out looking like a big water mark and then the paint starts to break down from the inside out similar to what you have there. That doesn't look like bird crap though

Even chalk dust left on paint for a few weeks is enough to eat back to the primer so in all honesty there could be 100 different things thats caused it.

Having seen 100s of factory stuff ups and warrenty repairs over the years something like that which is obvious that something has been spilled on it they wont cover it. You can see clearly in the pic the clear has been eaten first, then the base coat and then in the middle a bit of the primer.

Cheers Mick.

Thanks Mick.
I've always washed any crap off the car as soon as i'd noticed it, but what ever is was has eaten through it.

Will they be able to just blend in a small section or will they need to paint the side of the tray?

I'll try and get to a painter in the next day or two.

Thanks for the input.
Wade

Gun wash won't do that to cured paint. I'm going with bird shite.
I think he is refering to Cam gun cleaner not gun wash. Yes it will strip paint back top bare metal in seconds but the chances of kids getting hold of it is not likey. It's only available though automotive paint shops and not available to the general public. If kids did get hold of it you would hear about it on the news as they would have serious chemical burns and wouldn't touch it again. lol

Your right though normal gunwash (recycled thinners) or any other thinners wont hurt 2 pack and just like Cam gun cleaner it would run so it wouldn't leave an marks like that.

Bird crap usually crazes the paint and then flakes so these marks are something else I'm thinking.

Cheers Mick.

Thanks Mick.
I've always washed any crap off the car as soon as i'd noticed it, but what ever is was has eaten through it.

Will they be able to just blend in a small section or will they need to paint the side of the tray?

I'll try and get to a painter in the next day or two.

Thanks for the input.
Wade
Sorry mate my computer shut down yesterday before I could answer this.

They will have to paint the whole tray section. So if it's a tailgate they will paint the whole tailgate. They may not put colour over the whole panel but they will clear the whole panel so the colour isn't out to the rear cabin panel etc.

Cheers Mick.

Latest posts

Back