PayPal or not PayPal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PayPal or not PayPal

• PayPal

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • Secure Credit Card transaction through actual website

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Bank transfer/EFT

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • other (not including someone elses CC)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There is a difference between accepting paypal (no matter what the amount) and accepting a deal where the buyer is saying things like "I'm a sailor and not in the country", "I don't have access to my bank acc."

A quick search on Google will tell you the majority of carsales scams involve a sailor not in the country.

Would you accept paypal payment for a car sale for $30k ?
He says he is a sailor at sea. Buying for his sons 21st who is in thr NT. Doesnt have access to his bank account but has merchant status for pay pal. It seems there may be pp fees involved. He will use pp to any account i nominate. Should i use my pp or bank acc?

That's a scam. Either the Paypal email you get saying you've received the payment will be fake, or you'll get an email saying you have to pay the fees up front ($400 or thereabouts) in order to receive your payment, or the buyer will try to do a chargeback on your Paypal to get all the money back after you've sent the car off.

Tell old mate to go stick it.

Thanks guys.
I told him wanted a bank chq and his sons drivers licence number for the rego transfer papers.
FYI. he started with a txt to my mobile asking me to get back to him by email.
He told me he cant view or test drive and asked me to send detailed photos to check the car is in good cond.
I emailed him with a , hope the photos get through blurb and he replyied, ok send me. your account details. I never even sent photos, as a test.
Lucky to have a forum of switched on people who look after each other.
Cheers heaps.

Would you accept paypal payment for a car sale for $30k ?
He says he is a sailor at sea. Buying for his sons 21st who is in thr NT. Doesnt have access to his bank account but has merchant status for pay pal. It seems there may be pp fees involved. He will use pp to any account i nominate. Should i use my pp or bank acc?

jjohn, it's a scam, dont trust him or her, i have heard of this scam before through friends that nearly got sucked in. It's always "I'm overseas" & " it's my son's birthday". He will also want you to pay the transportation costs but he will forward you the moneylater, but the money you pay for transportation ends up going onto their bank account not the transport company. Did you use Gumtree to place the Ad? It's renown for scammers, they have tried on me heaps of times.

I used carsales.com he didnt contact me through them he txt me to use his email. Will report him to carsales and google as he used a gmail acc.

Paypal for ebay. Secure credit card (debit card) for one off, if it is available.

for a recurring cost. e.g. swimming lessons, insurance. Direct Debit.

Never used EFT (bank transfer) and never will, no way to get your money back if it goes tits up.

I used carsales.com he didnt contact me through them he txt me to use his email. Will report him to carsales and google as he used a gmail acc.

I sold a car on Gumtree and got the same old crap, except he was on an oil rig.

Whenever i advertise something like a care or large value item and don't want the dick around. I add "local purchase and local pickup only" to it. Then you will know straight away who the scammers are.

I wouldn't bother with google. The address would have been abandoned by now.