Penrite vs Nulon Oils

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepenberries

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Penrite HPR 5 Oil - 5W-40? Looking at either the full or semi synthetic versions but not sure which to go for...

Alternatively looking at the Nulon Full Synthetic Long Life Diesel Engine Oil - 5W-30?

Any recommendations between these ?

2012 YD25 with 60k kms

Have been using Fusch GT1 5W30 but its becoming hard to come by...

i recommend going with the diesel spec oils rather than the "light diesel" oils. ie HPR 5 diesel instead of the HPR5.

As others have stated, diesel specific oils are better.

I wouldn't have thought Sydney's climate would require a 5W-30.
I'd go 10W-40 or 10W-50 personally.

Web copy from D40 diesel workshop manual. 5W-30 is the recommended viscosity. Without DPF, Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4. Just be careful as there are different specs for with/without DPF.
1657093578137.png

Has anyone used the Penrite HPR 5 Oil - 5W-40?
I've been using Penrite HPR5 5W-40 Full Synthetic in my 2011 Thai built D40 2.5 diesel since I bought it back in January 2017. It doesn't have a DPF.

I have several cars and motorcycles and find the HPR5 is versatile as it can even be used in the wet clutch motorcycles. So now I don't have different oil containers all over the garage with small amounts in each. I wait until it's on special at Repco, SCA etc and buy in 10 or 20 litre containers and use it for all the cars and bikes.

At the time I called the Penrite technical department and spoke to a helpful Engineer. She confirmed HPR5 was perfectly fine in the YD25 diesel. I've not had any issues in five years which includes many remote expeditions including the Canning Stock Route twice.

1657342920474.png

For interest I again emailed the Penrite Technical Department to clarify the use of HPR5 5W-40. A friend of mine (who has a 2012 Thai D40 YD25) called their Technical Department a few days ago and the Representative was adamant HPR Diesel 5 5W-40 was the only oil to use. This is contrary to advice I had when I called Technical support about three years ago.

Below is their response (15 December 2022) and my emailed question (14 December 2022) at the bottom:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI Scott

Thanks for your inquiry, HPR 5 can be used in your vehicle although does not offer the same level of detergent as the HPR Diesel Range.
Detergent is important in a diesel application as it keeps the Engine clean.

Kind Regards

Jamie Rodger
Technical Support

Penrite Oil Company
T 1300 PENRITE (1300 736 748) | F +61 3 9801 0977 | [email protected]
Proudly Australian Made & Owned Since 1926

My question below:

I have a 2011 Thailand built Nissan Navara D40 2.5 litre turbo diesel single cab manual 4wd with no DPF.

The product finder recommends the engine oil as HPR Diesel 5 5W40. For convenience I prefer to use HPR5 5W40 Full Synthetic as I have three diesel turbo vehicles and the other two have HPR5 recommended. It’s not efficient having partially filled oil containers with different oil types scattered around my garage.

I live in Western Australia and the vehicle is used for remote expeditions on unsealed roads.

This is copied from my owner’s manual for the D40 2.5 litre diesel.

Without Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF):
Genuine NISSAN engine oil
API CF-4 (*1) (*3)
JASO DH-1 (*1)
ACEA B1, B3, B4, or B5 (*1)
*1 : For further details, see “RECOMMENDED SAE VISCOSITY NUMBER” later in this section.
*3 : Never use API CG-4.

Penrite HPR5 5W-40 Full Synthetic.
SUITABLE FOR USE WHERE SPECIFICATIONS BELOW ARE REQUIRED
(FOR OUT OF WARRANTY SERVICE)
ACEA A1/B1 (Obsolete)
ACEA A5/B5

API SL
API SM
API SN
API SN/CF
Ford M2C913-C
Ford M2C913-D
Ford WSS-M2C913-C
Ford WSS-M2C913-D
ILSAC GF-3
ILSAC GF-4
ILSAC GF-5

Considering the Nissan can use engine oil that complies with ACEA B1, B3, B4, or B5 it appears HPR5 5W40 Full Synthetic is suitable.

Your comments please?

Regards,

Scott

Wow! I always just looked on the supercheap oil tablet and got what was recommended and on special.
Or trusted the mechanic to not just use the bucket of oil they had the most of
Still, I have made it to 380 thousand kms now. I guess the old ZD30 is a bit more bombproof?
Or am I just lucky?

Wow! I always just looked on the supercheap oil tablet and got what was recommended and on special.
Or trusted the mechanic to not just use the bucket of oil they had the most of
Still, I have made it to 380 thousand kms now. I guess the old ZD30 is a bit more bombproof?
Or am I just lucky?

If it's diesel oil you're doing it well enough to make the motor last. Many oils are built on the same base oil anyway, just with different additives.

Latest posts

Back