Pinion nut size

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steel d40

Reaction score
Hi All

Anybody know the size of the nut on the rear pinion?

Trying to line everything up before tackling the pinion oil seal as I don't want any surprises and my sockets are spread between my brothers, parents and my place.
Had quick look at manual and couldn't see a mention.

Cheers

So...new 32mm socket from supercheap, and send it for a date with the bench grinder to slim it down a bit?

Hey Zete - what colour is your D40? I never made it out to Cadbury's, but see a few around the northern suburbs and wonder which is yours.

My number plates (start with DOC) are a dead giveaway :)

Scratch that it's 34mm I think I have a spare diff in the shed and all I know is 32mm is to small and 36 is too big but I don't have a 34mm to confirm sorry.

hi doc, mine is white' I have a set of wasp wheels and a alloy toolbox in the back, there are few nice D40's getting about down here, I think ive seen you a couple of times around the Claremont area.

I just did my rear main seal two weekends ago. 33mm thin wall socket is what is required.
We happened to have one in 3/4" drive that did the trick.

EDIT: Trick to getting the new seal in is to turn the flange over and use that to bang the new seal in evenly. Just put another socket over the bit of the flange that you are hitting with the hammer obviously. It doesn't seat it 100% of the way but we manged with an extension bar and a hammer after that to get it to 100%.

Last edited:
Turns out mine was a 32mm. And surprise Nissan appear to have buggered up the part as seal did not include metal retaining ring. Seeing as seal was bonded to ring and nearly impossible to remove without damaging, bloody frustrating. Will post correct part number when confirmed.

32mm, 33mm or 34mm have Nissan used diffrernt size nuts to do the same job?
I have to do this seal next weekend and need to get a socket myself.............so which one do I use?

Latest posts

Back