Pollen filter and canopy/tub sealing - D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep tight ass Nissan Australia didn't fit cabin filters as standard. But your lucky as King Cab and single cab have a different A/C, heater box, and have no provision for cabin filters, so I eat dirt every time I hit a dusty track.

Oh! Is this fair dinkum??? Not that I doubt you at all ....

I was going to look at my filters this weekend as I noticed I could smell dust/dirt coming from the AC a bit more than usual. I guess if us KC owners don't have the filters, it's one less job I have to do :)

Yeh it's true mate, I purchased new filters yesterday and fitted them only to find none in there? So much for replacement it ended up being an install haha 150k on the board and I thought it was time to change them.. Then I jumped on here an found this thread then it all made sense.. Nissan are tight asses.

I was happy when I found out my dealer doesn't install them unless requested but have read stories and seen photos of evaporators largely clogged by crap that was once airborne and stuck to the damp evaporator. In these cases, over time, the airflow reduces.

Now I think I will install some aftermarket ones to be on the safe side. The car is often on dusty roads.

My Pulsar lasted 12 years without them and I know other Pulsar owners with earlier models who've never had them installed, same goes for Pathies.

I accept that under some circumstances they make a difference but how many of us actually get our vehicles in those situations?

I have a Ford that celebrates it's 44th birthday this year. It has air and the evaporator is o.k but it was unlikely to have seen much in the way of dusty conditions when it was in regular use. I know it hasn't as long as I have had it.

Tried buying R12 lately?

Very few of us get our vehicles in such dusty conditions and even when we do it's only for a short time.

"Buying R12" Wasn't Dave bitching about that sometime in the last few weeks?

I think Dave was talking about the R134A or whatever they use now although if that went up in price, I would hate to think of the cost of R12.

Nothing like a good ol greenhouse gas. Hate cold weather.

Yeh it's true mate, I purchased new filters yesterday and fitted them only to find none in there? So much for replacement it ended up being an install haha 150k on the board and I thought it was time to change them.. Then I jumped on here an found this thread then it all made sense.. Nissan are tight asses.

So the King Cab's have recepticals, or holders, for the filters, but no filters.???

I thought leprechaun meant that the King and Single Cab's don't have the recepticals/holders?????

Well after contacting Repco and being told by 2 stores that they only stock pollen filters for the spanish D40's, I contacted Bursons who have the Thai ones for $39.35 but none of the stores remotely near me had stock.

Sydney filters charge about $27.00 I think but didn't want to provide all my personal details only to find the postage cost too high.

Out of curiosity I checked the filter cavity only to find pollen filters already installed. Seeing as I bought the vehicle new, they were either installed in the factory or the dealer put them in and didn't charge.

Although they don't last forever, still glad I didn't buy any.

Intrigued by these mysterious pollen filters I bit the bullet and bought a pair of filters from Garry @ NIZZBITS as recommended by others in this thread.

Sure enough ... they were present in our 08 OUTLAW and a touch dirty. Thinking back to my 80 series Cruiser days I remember that the paper filter for a diesel 80 was washable.

Figuring nothing to lose I threw the pollen filters into a bucket of warm soapy water for a couple of hours then hosed them out. Sure enough ... clean, intact and servicable!

Dunno for how long they'll remain servicable but given the price of these things relative to what they actually are I figured the idea of washing them might help save a few bucks for anyone interested.

After reading this thread i too decided to check to see both, if they were infact there and if they were how dirty were they after 64,000km in 12months.

First i found yes they were there, as i have nissan only do the first three services im not sure when they were put in. I do suspect they were put in AFTER the factory as the little locating tags on the hatch had one snapped off which stinks of a 16yr old apprentice.

Second, WOW they were absolutely PUTRID full of dirt, little twigs, small pieces of leaves, ect to the top of the little fins of the filter elements.

So i just hit them with some compressed air, they cleaned up ok.

I will replace them at 80,000km, i was supposed to do them at 40k but told the mechanic not to bother as i thought they would have been pretty good, hahaha know that i have seen them i will check them much more frequently.

Don't know how long these bad boys have gone since a clean. Just had to beat them like a red headed Carlton supporting step child and then soak them for a while. Going to order them from eBay for ron anyway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 73
I used to wash the pollen filters when I was using my vehicle a lot more than I am these days. Washed them in the same stuff that I washed my spa paper filters in. Never had a problem with them. They aren't impregnated or activted carbon, so as long as they are not beaten around when wet, they will be fine.

Latest posts

Back