Pollen Filters

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunus88

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a heads up. Check your pollen filters (located behind glove box)... I was going over my service reports etc...Saw that they had been "replaced". Curiosity bit and I had to check them out. The filters were clearly the filters that had been in it from close to day one. The amount of muck and debris that came out of them was equivalent to when you clean the filter in a vacuum! Both were clogged up the whole depth of the filter.

Gave them a quick clean out until I get around to replacing them this w/e. Seems my aircon works better now... Is this related?

Cheers,

Shaun

Probably, yes. Unless the air can flow freely through the filters, the efficiency of the aircon will be reduced.

When I lived on the mainland, I kept a set of the old filters and washed them out. Just like an air filter, I hosed from the clean side, out through the dirty side. I then soaked them overnight in the same oxydiser that I used to treat my spa water with - basically strong bleach. Figured the spa filters were made from paper, spent all their life immersed, and cleaned out perectly - why not.

Worked like a charm. I never bought another set of filters. Swapped the dirty ones out - replaced with the clean ones - at 10k service intervals and cleaned them. Kept them in a box for the next interval.

I probably should get around to it again down here in Tassie, but because I disposed of so many belongings before we moved I just forgot until this thread. Have just blindly replaced them with new ones.

Will pull them out and wash as per your method. Can't see the need to go and spend $$ on a new set. They look to be made quiet well so will give cleaning them a go.

Cheers,

Shaun

Do all vehicles with air-con have these?? What about the D22?? and if so are they in the same location?? never even heard of them to be honest.

Do all vehicles with air-con have these?? What about the D22?? and if so are they in the same location?? never even heard of them to be honest.

No mate not all cars have them, only most MODERN cars do!! :ha:

BUT i dont remember my D22 having them changed in the 5yrs i owned it, thats not to say that they are there and should of been done.

I would read through the service schedule in your Nissan service log book, IF they are in the D22 they should be changed around 40,000km intervals which will be listed as one of the jobs to do if in fact they are in the car at all.

My D40 air-con smells something horrible, have been told to clean the pollen filters but how do you get them out?

Pull the glovebox out. It's just 4 philips screws from memory, then a 10mm hex (ring spanner, socket, even flat will do the job) to remove the little door. I thought I'd posted something about it but can't find the rotten thing, I had pics and everything.

Take care removing them not to bend them too much and try not to deform the long edges - if they stay straight, they're easier to reinstall. they should be a tight fit, and firm edges = easy installation.

Pull the glovebox out. It's just 4 philips screws from memory, then a 10mm hex (ring spanner, socket, even flat will do the job) to remove the little door. I thought I'd posted something about it but can't find the rotten thing, I had pics and everything.

Take care removing them not to bend them too much and try not to deform the long edges - if they stay straight, they're easier to reinstall. they should be a tight fit, and firm edges = easy installation.

Stop looking Old Tony, I found it. :rock:

Heaps of info in the thread below, and looks like it's an 8mm bolt/nut.

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=1813&highlight=pollen

Hey guys,

Just a heads up. Check your pollen filters (located behind glove box)... I was going over my service reports etc...Saw that they had been "replaced". Curiosity bit and I had to check them out. The filters were clearly the filters that had been in it from close to day one. The amount of muck and debris that came out of them was equivalent to when you clean the filter in a vacuum! Both were clogged up the whole depth of the filter.

Gave them a quick clean out until I get around to replacing them this w/e. Seems my aircon works better now... Is this related?

Cheers,

Shaun

Just thought i would take your advice and check mine as it has done 64k in the last 12months and i havent ever checked them and told the mechanic at the 40k not to bother.
Anyway WOW they were exactly as you said "clogged up the whole depth of the filter" i too gave them a hit with the compressor and will get another pair at the next service, i never really thought they would be that bad!! :confused3:

Oh and i didnt need to pull the glove box all the way out, i just squeezed either side of the box while it was open and it fell forwards from the hinges and there was plenty of room to get to the hatch.

now with the glove box flipped out you will see the little rectangular hatch and single screw hold the door closed over on the left, as see here.

Back