Popped up suspension?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5942

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just finished installing a body lift. All in place but when I look at the car from the back the right side is significantly higher, not as noticeable from the front.

Looked around and I suspect it might be something with the suspension. It seems like it popped out or something like that. See in the photo attached the white mark on the shock aborber looks suspicious? Or maybe it is the leaf spring that popped out?

I'm pretty sure it's the suspension but obviously don't know for sure. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140816_134956.jpg
    IMG_20140816_134956.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 174
I'm not sure - it could be camera angle - but that shock looks like it's bent. It could be holding the suspension high. Does the right side of the vehicle settle any lower when you add some weight to the car? The leaf spring looks like the car's not sitting in its normal position, judging by the appearance of the 3rd leaf from the bottom which appears to normally sit lower.

Check that there is compression in the shock on each side one maybe stuffed or solid.

Was it like it before the body lift?
because i cant see how you doing the body lift could possibly effect the suspension??

I would first take a very careful look to make sure each body mount is identical on each side and corner of the car, if it is and you still suspect the suspension then start by taking of the shock as it sits and compress it and extend it and make sure its operation is smooth and is extending and contracting all the way.

The white mark should be on both shocks, it could be the mark to indicate where it should sit or when its at its max length, compare it to the other shock.
If it were me i would pull both out anyway to check how they feel, from the looks they apear to be the stockers and could very well do with replacing.

If that appears normal then compare both shackles on the leaf springs and make sure that one isnt inverted as mentioned above, if you find one is you can try to flip it back by jacking up that corner and levering it back with a crowbar.

The leaf pack in the pic seems normal to me form what i can see but its alway hard from one pic from only one side, and we cant see the shackles.

Check that right hand side shock isn't locked in full expansion? Maybe if the shock is fully extended the edge of the two tubes are butt up against each other.

Maybe start by measuring axle to chassis rail. Then chassis to body. Check where the difference is from there.

Thanks all for the replies. Some answers and an update.

It doesn't make sense it's related to the body lift, I agree, but I'm quite certain it wasn't there before.

I did check the distance from the ground to the chassis, and it was higher on the right side by about ~4cm.

The white mark is only on the right shock.

Quick update - I have left two sand bags and a tool box on the right side of the tray last night, all in all about ~45kg. It seems the right side has come down a little, still not straight but there's also less of the white mark on the shock. I might leave it there for a week or so and see if it settles in some more.

On a "positive" note my wife believes the car might role over if I drive it like that. Not going to convince her otherwise. I might just use the situations as an excuse to upgrade the suspension... :sarcastic:

Thank for the link Tony.

Not sure what to expect. I assume the test is pushing the suspension up & down to see how it bounce. I tried that and it moves, not a lot, but then again these are leaf springs so can't expect them to move much?

Mine moves a little, I've got dual rate springs so it takes a fair load to compress but doesn't mind flexing upward at all - if yours is moving at all, then it's a fair sign.

How about the other side - is there up/down motion on that side?

The reason for asking in this way is because the most obvious reason for one shock to be stuck like that is because the shock's shaft is bent. You could also examine the bushing on the springs, and make sure the shackles are sitting the same on both sides (but that's already been asked). There's little else that will do that to your car, unless you've got a major twist in the chassis!

I don't think the shock is stuck. It moves on both sides, and when I loaded the right side with some weight it went down, so I think the shock is ok. I took the weight off today and the shock popped back up, with the white mark showing much more again.

I haven't checked the bushing properly. I will do that tonight when I get home and will have another look at the shackles as well this time with a measuring tape.

How can I know if the chassis is twisted? is there a way to check this myself?

It's kind of a chicken and egg thing, if it is twisted it will then effect the suspension, right? But how do I know the suspension is ok to begin with?

Edit: not sure if this adds anything but I did take the car for a drive and it feels pretty much normal in terms of handling....

Last edited:
Are the shackles the same size?? Is it possible that you have extended shackles one side and not the other.

So went under the car with a torch. Couldn't see anything strange.

The bushes look fine, don't look bent or twisted. The shackles all look the same, and seem to be all in the same place and aligned (in fact it looks like they are pinned to the leafs?).

One more thing I've noticed is the "suspicious" shock has that white mark only towards the outside, on the inside there is no mark.

Looking for anything that would indicate an issue with the chassis - the doors look aligned, no outstanding gaps, and they open and close with no issues. I have some scratch marks from bush driving on the left side of the car, I followed one which is still in one continues line across the body and doors. So the body has not twisted for a good 8-12 months.

Being parked in the garage the car looks fine. I've only noticed the unevenness when it was parked up the driveway and I looked from far below. Perhaps it has been like that all along???

I also wondering if the rubber bushes between the chassis and the tub are the same, has it always had the tub??

Edit: ignore that just read the initial post and they would have been replaced with the blocks.

Latest posts

Back