power comparison 3.0 & 4.2

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2greedy

Reaction score
Hi guy's

can someone tell me what would be the advantage of going from 3.0 ltr to 4.2

According to the specs on both engines the ZD30 has better figures than the TD42, why would i go to the extra 2 cylinders and worse economy and less power and torque when the 4 cylinder has better figures?

It's got me stumped?

Last edited:
The 4.2 is a proven Beast that will never give up.

I'm more interested in how you will fit a 4.2td in a navara???

no i'm not putting 4.2 in just trying to decide whether to by a patrol, but the patrol figures are shit compared to the Navara, a lot heavier, worse fuel economy.

Last edited:
I own a 2010 d40 St diesel and also the new model D4D Sr 2006 hilux both with similar mods. The navara has more torque and power on paper but the hilux kills the navara for low down torque but higher in the rev range they are about equal.. I'd have a drive of both to see the difference.

I own a 2010 d40 St diesel and also the new model D4D Sr 2006 hilux both with similar mods. The navara has more torque and power on paper but the hilux kills the navara for low down torque but higher in the rev range they are about equal.. I'd have a drive of both to see the difference.

yea well m8 my nav has had quiet a few mods done and will eat 4.2's all day, my torque range is from about 1350rpm up to about 3200rpm so pretty much off idle i got everything, but basically was just trying to work out why ppl go to the patrols?

considering the patrols are a lot heavier in weight and fuel economy i just can't understand why would you have 1 when you can run a 4 cylinder way cheaper and with better power and torque?

Last edited:
As above, the td42 is a dinosaur, but they pretty much go forever... Nissan dropped them because they couldn't get them up to euro4 emission standards from what I've heard... They were so popular in the patrols because of the zd30 grenade problems... The main advantage the patrol has offroad, apart from the solid diff's, is the short approach and departure angles. That and there are so many aftermarket parts available for them... They are aimed at different markets though don't forget, even though they did do a single cab version...

Ah right I understand. Just to put it out there, I had a 2001 gu patrol before the nav. 3l deisel was nippy and great torque in low range. I was getting 1000km between fill ups. Costing between 130-155$ per fill.

I recon your design should weather you see a wagon or a ute being more practical for you.

The 4.2 is a tractor, just goes and goes and with a few mods the old 4.2 can really get up and go. A mate took his to JPC and got a bigger turbo, boost wound up and pump,the thing flew and would have been a towing monster. I don't care what the specs say on paper, you can't beat cubic inches IMO. They just don't work as hard.

A stock 4.2 is way under it's potential that's why they go forever, un stressed but there are two extra mouths to feed so they use more fuel to do the same job.

Hi guy's

can someone tell me what would be the advantage of going from 3.0 ltr to 4.2

According to the specs on both engines the ZD30 has better figures than the TD42, why would i go to the extra 2 cylinders and worse economy and less power and torque when the 4 cylinder has better figures?

It's got me stumped?

the early 3 litre patrol is nickanamed the "grenade" for a reason.
the later common rail are better.

the 4.2 turbo is lower powered in stock form but can put out big power easy enough.

My old man has a GU 4.2, he goes away for months at a time up north towing a Kimberly kamper and he averages 14/100km, I recon that's pretty good considering the size of the donk!! TD42t and toyotas 1hd fte are awesome motors.

I'm just about to sell my Nav to buy a 4.2 GU wagon, feels weird selling a car with 50thou for a 10 yr old car with 200thou on it but at the end of the day we have 4wd's for a reason and you can't go past a 4.2td patrol for capability and reliability......

The 4.2 has a good rep but I see heaps on various car sales website with engine rebuilds and various other work been done on examples that have only covered 3-400000ks, not all are bulletproof i reckon, service history, oil changes etc need to be done no matter what motor. Id never buy a diesel 4by without a proper history.

The 4.2 sound unreal with a proper exhaust though, something the zd30 can never replicate!

The 4.2's need to stay cool, a good exhaust and a big intercooler will help a treat. Heaps of people boosting them to high with out doing other work and they run to hot and pop

yea well m8 my nav has had quiet a few mods done and will eat 4.2's all day, my torque range is from about 1350rpm up to about 3200rpm so pretty much off idle i got everything, but basically was just trying to work out why ppl go to the patrols?

considering the patrols are a lot heavier in weight and fuel economy i just can't understand why would you have 1 when you can run a 4 cylinder way cheaper and with better power and torque?

what mods do u have?

Back