Power Loss

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbie83

Reaction score
G’day crew, my 06 DZ30 is surging and is under powered (compared to my mates machines) it is lucky to hold 100k’s in 4th up a slight hill. The surging happened more if I open it up and goes from lag to boost. I’m thinking it could be the injector pump, really hoping it’s not! Any ideas??

Dirty injectors, dirty air intake, clutch, blocked map sensor. What engine/exhaust mods do you have? and how k's on the clock?

I have put on a new fuel filter, air filter and dumped some injector cleaner through it. no engine/exhaust mods on it, and 140,000 on the clock. joshman how can i check the map sensor? Cheers

Surging? Isn't that what happens with the NPS failure?

Try holding the gear lever to one side or the other when it's happening. If the problem goes away, it's your Neutral Position Switch.

its hard to explain what its doing, if it was a petrol motor i would look at fuel pumps. it feels very under powered. cheers tony i will give it a go.

G'day mate my old mans zd30 had a surge all I did was disconnect the heat switch and neutral switch for him and it right as rain mind u it has done 298,000

G'day herbie , mate I recently had a similar problem symptoms like a NPS but it was still doing it after unplugged , it was only down on power and surging a bit every now and then so I new there was really nothing to serious going on and it would over boost , one time up to 22psi, so starting checking sensors had a spare map/boost sensor so I put that on thought I had it , but started playing up again , so kept checking , I put a uni filter in a few weeks back and it occurred to me that it started playing up then , I think I've got it fixed now ( I hope )turns out the oil (and there was a lot in the bottom of the air filter box) was fouling the map boost sensor , Its been OK for a while . So long story short maybe check , clean boost sensor .

Sweet lads Cheers, being new to my Nav i will spend the weekend locating all of these sensors. And just use a cercuit cleaner from say dick smiths or somehting? Again Cheers

Herbie , truck still going good , done quite a few k's today no probs . I will be cleaning the boost sensor tomorrow with a crc electrical contact cleaner from supa cheap , $16.00. Its the pipe on the top as bouncy boobs Dave mentioned and its mark boost sensor (i think). I will be putting my uni filter back in with a lot less oil on it.

thanks dave i did find it, and give it a clean let it settle for an hour or so. still the same, i did try the NPS trick and that made a difference for sure, I could feel it pull. Am i right in saying it's located on the top of the gear box?
Is it the only sensor?
can i leave it un pluged or should i get a replacement?

kemp cheers
i will be keen to know how your turns out, and i will be pulling everything out and giving it a hit with the same stuff. did you hook your NPS back up or get a new one? just let it be?

Yeah its at the top, beside the gearstick.

Unplug and leave it if you want.

Id change it, but thats me.

To change it, pull up the carpet and undo it from the top.

From underneath is a bitch of a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hooked my NPS back up . Getting at the NPS from underneath is OK if you have a 2" body lift. Having the body lift makes it so much easier to access some things on the utes

Dave, found it. And got a part orded in so will give it a crack after work this week when it rocks up. cheers again.

Just changed my NPS at a mates workshop. Pretty easy to do from underneath with a hoist and two blokes. We cut a 19mm spanner in half, cut the plug off the old sensor so we could use the ring spanner end and used a drift and a hammer on the end of the spanner to get it started. I did notice the original had been sealed in with some sort of sealant so the new one got the same treatment. Total time to do the job was about 20 minutes including cutting the spanner in half.

Cheers Scottar, hope to get it done this week. i have the man power but only ramps, few of the boys and tins we should be able to nut it out. when i get the part, there is (like you said 'some sort of sealant') i will grab at the same time.

Latest posts

Back